S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Cracks in Dash / replacing the stereo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500 SEL
Question Cracks in Dash / replacing the stereo

84 500 SEL

I have small cracks in my dashboard originating from the corner of the front speakers. Is there an easy way to stop the forward movement of the cracks – and perhaps repair them in a manner that does not result in something uglier than the crack itself?

Also – I am looking to replace the Becker stereo head unit. I am guessing that I can pull the ashtray and there will be some sort of bolt/screw toward the rear of the unit that holds it in place. Is this correct? Are there other considerations I should know about before I try and replace the head unit and speakers?
Thanks
Old 03-27-2004, 05:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 500 SEL
I have one crack on my dash as well, fortunately it’s not noticeable. I keep the dash “well lubed” with goo and use a sunshade when the car’s in the sunlight. There are replacement covers that can be installed, but I don’t know how that would look. A dash cover is also an option – some look quite good.

There are no bolts holding the radio. Clips on either side of the radio/console hold the unit in place. There are special tools/keys you can use to release the clips; I removed the ashtray and just pushed the unit out from the back. It’s just a matter of jiggling the unit loose from the clips and it slides right out.

Good luck.