S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Rear end locked

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 560 SEL
Rear end locked

I left my 1987 560 SEL up on a block on one side for about 6 months and when I dropped it down to drive, the car seems to roll about one revolution and then clunks to a stop. I put the car up on blocks and put it in drive and the right side spins away freely but the left rear (the side that had been jacked up for the past seven months) holds still. With the car in the air I can turn the right side by hand and I can hear a metal clicking like a playing card in bike spoke. The left side turns one revolution while the ticking is heard and then it cluncks to stop. HELP!

I never had any reverse problem prior to putting the car up 7 months ago.

I did a couple of searches for Rear...dif...diferential....reverse...etc with no results. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am just getting on line after a PC crash. There use to be a genterlman from California who had a 560 SEL like mine and he had done a great job of storing all his repairs in photographs, I think photography was another hobbie of his, does andbody have the link to his site?