S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

'83 500 SEL URGENT buying questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 12:35 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '83 500 SEL URGENT buying questions

Hello all. I'm new to the site so treat me with care. I'm a hair-breath's away from buying an 180K mile '83 500 SEL and need some questions answered.
(1) What are some of the things that I should definitely inspect before buying this car? I was told that one is the timing chains, replacement recommended every 100K miles or so and if on startup I hear some racket from the front engine then chains need attention NOW! What are the prices for the chains and tensioners?
(2) Second, what about those hydro suspensions. How can I tell if it's bad or good?
(3) Since this car is over 20 years old I'm assuming the suspension bushings are cracked and rotted, or in any case it's something that I'd like to replace to have that nice-feeling ride. Therefore, how much are the busings likely to cost me to buy (all suspension arm and rear and possibly subframe bushings)?
(4) Where is a good place (mail-order, on-line) to get MB parts for reasonable prices?

Any other things I should look for?

And finally, what sort of life can realistically be expected from the 5.0 mercedes V8 before a rebuild assuming it's been cared for decently? Like I said the car has approximately 180K miles on it right now.

Thank you and god bless.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300SEL
meowy84,

1) The 5.0L M117 engine in the 500SEL uses a double row timing chain, to replacement is not needed at 100k. You may be thinking of the 380 motor, that engine used a single row timing chain which should have the double row chain retrofit installed anyway.

2) There are two common ways I have noticed to tell the condition of the hydrolevel rear susp. One, is to drive the car and feel whether the back of the car bounces over bumps too much. The other is to put a couple a guy in the trunk and see if the susp. can level the load properly.

3) I replaced everything in my susp. over a period of about 2 years. The rear requires 4 bushings and a couple of subframe mounts (the parts are like $50), installation cost was around $800. The front is much more complicated. Subframe bushings, upper and lower control arms, guide rods, tie rods, steering links, etc. all need to be replaced. And if you are going to all the trouble, you should replace the steering gearbox as well, to eliminate slop in the steering. I don't remember exactly the cost (I try to forget) but a quick calc. in my head is about 1.5k for parts, plus labor. I installed all my front susp. parts myself, so I dont know the labor, expect 2k+ in labor charges.

4) I use thebenzbin.com for most items and the dealership for other small stuff and special euro parts that I require.

Other stuff: Oil changes are critical as always, especially on the V8 because the top end does suffer from oil starvation when it gets old. I don't really know what you shoud expect from the motor, my guess is 250k from the top end and 350-400k from the bottom. I know my M103 6 cylinder is bulletproof, I have over 250k and have not had the engine apart yet for any reason, knock on wood...

Best of Luck!!!
Old 04-20-2004, 05:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Howdy,

Thanks for all the info on the parts and prices. I will do most of the maintenance (if possible) myself like on my other cars so that should save me a bit. $1.5K for the front parts...YEOW!!! I guess this isn't my grandpa's Buick! On the plus side the owner showed me papers that show the transmission being rebuilt about 5,000 miles ago so that should save me some cash in the near future (asuming it was done correctly since it wasn't done at a MB dealer).

Chris
Old 04-20-2004, 05:31 PM
Almost a Member!

Oh, one more thing I wanted to add is that the guy is asking $1500 for the car. Any idea if that is a decent price. From my research it would seem to be a fairly good deal. The car runs/drives and everything appears to be operating as it should. The main flaws include cracked front seat leather, a few dash cracks, the wood strip applique coming off in 2 places on the dash, fading paint including the clear top-coat off the roof and trunk, a few rust bubbles (1 on door, 2 on rear and 2 each on botton of the rockers where the rubber grommets go) and broken headlapm wiper arms.

Chris
Old 04-21-2004, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300SEL
Chris,

1.5k for that car sounds reasonable. What sort of budget are you looking at and time frame? If you are willing to spend more like $3-4k, you should be able to find a better example w/o rust.

A quick search of autotrader yeilded this grey market 500SEL, link.

Just a suggestion if you are not pressed for time in purchasing a car.

Happy Hunting!
Old 04-21-2004, 04:29 PM
Almost a Member!

Actually, I wasn't looking at buying a Mercedes specifically until I ran into this one a few miles from my house and since I've always liked the looks and size of the big Benzes I decided to take a closer look. Although I am on a budget (who isn't?!) it can flex a little.