S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

300sdl

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What ever is RUNNING
Question 300sdl

Wife just purchased (we needed another car?). Has 155000, couple of dings being fixed along with some trim work. What have I gotten myself into? Need owners manual, repair manual and any information on this.
Thank you for reading this.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
What year ?
Old 05-19-2004, 09:23 AM

What ever is RUNNING
Info we have so far is 1986. Do not have the car in house yet. restoring the outside 1st.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:25 AM

'85 300SD (CA em.)
I hope you are one of two things, hopefully both. Rich or a good DIY.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:32 AM

What ever is RUNNING
Originally posted by vwbuge
I hope you are one of two things, hopefully both. Rich or a good DIY.
THAT BAD!
Heard that they where a reliable car. this one ran well and had some good background on it. If it is a junker, oh well, HELLO EBAY!
Old 05-20-2004, 10:27 AM

'85 300SD (CA em.)
It is not that they are that bad. It is just that alot of people buy these things with no service records or history and expect to dirve them forever. The older diesels need some TLC. If you were going for bullet proof reliability, you should buy a 300SD or a 240D. They are a little smaller than the SDL. I believe the heads were an issue on the 6 cyl diesels. When something does pop up that needs fixed it is nice to tackle it yourself and save alot of $$$$$$. Otherwise you will have to find a mechanic that is familiar with MB diesels.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:05 PM

What ever is RUNNING
Originally posted by vwbuge
It is not that they are that bad. It is just that alot of people buy these things with no service records or history and expect to dirve them forever. The older diesels need some TLC. If you were going for bullet proof reliability, you should buy a 300SD or a 240D. They are a little smaller than the SDL. I believe the heads were an issue on the 6 cyl diesels. When something does pop up that needs fixed it is nice to tackle it yourself and save alot of $$$$$$. Otherwise you will have to find a mechanic that is familiar with MB diesels.
Being that we do all our own work and I have friends that own MB Dealerships (Brumos in Jacksonville, Fl) that stock or use my products, a little ***** trading may be in order.
I got it to reasonable to pass it up and it did run out well. The seller kknows of my connections and does not want me ticked off so I hope he was as honest as he was in the past.
Thank you for the input. All I need know is all the books, manuals and the car.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:19 PM

What ever is RUNNING
Talking Finally Got car

1987 300SDL 153,000 miles. Runs great no the bad stuff!
1. Radio D.O.A.
2. Sunroof D.O.A.
3. Cigar Lighter D.O.A.
Everything else works!
M.I.A.
1. Tool Kit
2. Shop Manual
Wheels look like poop, need to be refinished, Balance is about 75 points.
Hope this is not
Old 06-21-2004, 07:18 PM

e320 2000
Post Pics and more detail on the car. I've owned 2 diesels and loved them both. (see below my name)

I travel a lot to many urban areas and I always scout for the D's.

True an old diesel needs TLC but any car past a quarter million will need a bit of attention. Keep in mind a 200,000 mile diesel is very much the norm and usually still running very well. Folks just don't give them up.

But there is absolutely nothing sweeter than an all day 85 - 90 mph cruise in a teenager diesel -- they just ask for more miles!

Good luck and post some stuff.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:30 PM

What ever is RUNNING
More info

Originally Posted by suntubi
Post Pics and more detail on the car. I've owned 2 diesels and loved them both. (see below my name)

I travel a lot to many urban areas and I always scout for the D's.

True an old diesel needs TLC but any car past a quarter million will need a bit of attention. Keep in mind a 200,000 mile diesel is very much the norm and usually still running very well. Folks just don't give them up.

But there is absolutely nothing sweeter than an all day 85 - 90 mph cruise in a teenager diesel -- they just ask for more miles!

Good luck and post some stuff.
Car has 154,250 on it. Ran great going down to Florida. Problem was the fuel line sprung a leak where the RUBBER Retainres hold the fuel line to the body. Cut away the old line and used a rubber hose and clamps to make the patch.
I need a shop manual BADLY. I THOUGHT I got a CD version from EBAY but it has been over 10 days and still no product. Emailed the person and waiting to hear from them.
The major things are no working windows (have power) STUCK sun roof (closed) and the A?C just blows FROM ALL vents, can not redirect from the defrosters.
Added an XM radio and mew tires.
Will post pictures on www.seecarr.org.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Nice looking car George, Many thanks to you and Kristi at Leatherique. Lets see the "after" pics of that 300! What do you plan on doing to the leather.

Here are pix of George's 300SDL

Old 06-29-2004, 08:36 PM

What ever is RUNNING
Talking

Thank you, we are going to go with the FADED PARCHMENT so we do not have to de-dye the whole car. Actually we will have parchment in the faded parts and go back to the Cream Beige on the doors, dash etc. We will be using some R&D products called SUPER PREPPING AGENT and CERIOUS CLEAN to do 90% of the work. We will spray (with a $19.95 air brush) Wipe Dye and Brush Dye. The car will not be a concourse hound but an above average driver to all Mercedes Benz events we attend. But far warning, Kryti got her judges certificate and is a PERFECTION type of judge. It there is dirt she will find it! Glad she is enjoying that part of the hobby.
We will posy our toy as it is done.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by LRPMAN
Thank you, we are going to go with the FADED PARCHMENT so we do not have to de-dye the whole car. Actually we will have parchment in the faded parts and go back to the Cream Beige on the doors, dash etc. We will be using some R&D products called SUPER PREPPING AGENT and CERIOUS CLEAN to do 90% of the work. We will spray (with a $19.95 air brush) Wipe Dye and Brush Dye. The car will not be a concourse hound but an above average driver to all Mercedes Benz events we attend. But far warning, Kryti got her judges certificate and is a PERFECTION type of judge. It there is dirt she will find it! Glad she is enjoying that part of the hobby.
We will posy our toy as it is done.
Krysti mentioned the super prepping agent to me, what does that do? Is that one of your products? Because I was asking her what would remove the Leatherique "original" klear kote incase I didn't like the look or feel of it, do you know what removes it? I can't wait to see the pics when you guys are done with it, I am sure it will be phenominal
Old 06-29-2004, 11:54 PM

What ever is RUNNING
Originally Posted by AlBoston
Krysti mentioned the super prepping agent to me, what does that do? Is that one of your products? Because I was asking her what would remove the Leatherique "original" klear kote incase I didn't like the look or feel of it, do you know what removes it? I can't wait to see the pics when you guys are done with it, I am sure it will be phenominal
Super PRepping agent is my brainchild. It allows you to use up to 240 grit wet/dry paper to remove the old dye and SOFTEN the leather AT THE SAME TIME. Ols method was laquer thinner which could destroy vinyl or MBTEX this product will not hurt vinyl or MBTEX but will remove th dye from leather. Time savings is at least 25%.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:53 AM

Trap oxidizer needs to be removed, should be done free? http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/300sdl871.htm

those engines had alloy heads, the previous model had iron heads, not aware of any significant problems, however they don't do very well if the engine runs hot that normal for some reason. The iron heads were more durable in that respect.

This guy doesn't have leather but had a mold problem and put the pressure washer to everything which is amazing to me, anyway the velour carpet and mats can be easily restored with a pressure washer if scrubbing is too involved.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/590333

Just jumping in here because i'm bored and remembered a few links....
Old 07-02-2004, 08:30 AM

What ever is RUNNING
Trap shut

Originally Posted by howdosaymercede
Trap oxidizer needs to be removed, should be done free? http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/300sdl871.htm

those engines had alloy heads, the previous model had iron heads, not aware of any significant problems, however they don't do very well if the engine runs hot that normal for some reason. The iron heads were more durable in that respect.

This guy doesn't have leather but had a mold problem and put the pressure washer to everything which is amazing to me, anyway the velour carpet and mats can be easily restored with a pressure washer if scrubbing is too involved.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/590333

Just jumping in here because i'm bored and remembered a few links....
Our TRAP OXIDIZER IS REMOVED, Good or Bad?
Old 07-03-2004, 01:00 PM

Good
Old 08-28-2004, 12:18 AM

Red face 1985 300SD fuel system

Originally Posted by vwbuge
I see that you have a 85 300SD. I just picked one up. I noticed fuel leaking at the fuel injector, probably fro the fuel line. Do you know the size of the fuel line coming off the side? Mines covered in cloth.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2004, 08:26 AM

What ever is RUNNING
Originally Posted by scmadm
I see that you have a 85 300SD. I just picked one up. I noticed fuel leaking at the fuel injector, probably fro the fuel line. Do you know the size of the fuel line coming off the side? Mines covered in cloth.

Thanks
Sorry, No clue. Mb Dealer can tell you or a good tech.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:12 PM

e320 2000
Your teenage diesel

Pics show me a fine ride!

Sh** happens. All of what you described is fixable. Spend a little money and a little time.

Great exterior color -- the same as my 91 420 SEL.

At 160,000 k miles, you've got plenty to work with.

I am Jealous!