S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

1983 300sd aftermarket water pump housing issue, caution

Old 07-28-2018, 03:20 PM
Tpp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 300sd
1983 300sd aftermarket water pump housing issue, caution

Good day....

I am owner of 1983 300sd, my 2nd 300 diesel vehicle

Just thought I would save my fellow 300sd owners the nightmare I just experienced.

I am guy who gets medical disability so I did not have the cash to purchase an OEM water pump housing and needed car to run, so purchased the MTA housing... A tremendous mistake

As most know to remove such you must line up
Balancer at front of crank to space alloted for taking out the bottom bolt

All work done and ready to start car and drive off Turn key nothing happens engine will not turn over after looking around ( I did not notice the issue) and doing steps to check celluloid which when key was turned only clicked I thought was starter which as we all know is not a backwoods repair job. Local mechanic drove the 15 miles up to me to help me

Why he makes the big buck, he saw the issue

The MTA aftermarket housing is 6mm longer away from the engine which sadly moves the bottom bolt so far out that when tried to start it jammed the bolt into the closed area after the slot in the balancer where you need it lined up with the slot

Engine now frozen at that point and not moving bolt jammed... Mechanic is coming back for 2nd service call try and loosen... Now almost 2 weeks down.

The MTA PART does not fit our vehicle... He thinks maybe without the washer it will have clearance, but maybe not.... I am not sure if all are like this one but was not machined to proper size... I am under impression the size of OEM part is all the same on all models.

So to save anyone else this nightmare be warned it might not fit and will freeze your engine dead in the water .. Yes know OEM is the answer but when you do not have the cash you do what you have to

I hope someone else reads this before it happens to them