S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

500 SEC and 560 SEC camshafts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 11:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
500SEC Carat Duchatelet
Question 500 SEC and 560 SEC camshafts

Hello Everyone! Thank you for letting me join the forum!

I am in a pickle with my 1986 500SEC. About a year ago, while driving the engine started making a rattling! i was told it was the hydraulic lifters. I garaged her for the rest of the summer and winter and have only got round to digging deeper into the issue. I pulled the cam cover off, and to my horror, the camshaft bearing had split, allowing excess movement in the camshaft. I believe the cause of this was the oil feed pipe that sits above the camshaft bearings was near enough disintegrated by the fractured camshaft bearing, so it was not being lubricated sufficiently.

I have been searching high and low for a 500SEC camshaft, camshaft bearing set and oil feed tube, but with not much luck. I have however found a set of cam bearings complete with the oil feed tube for a 560SEC, but does anyone know if they share the same bearings and feed tube? If not what is the difference between the 500 and 560 camshafts up is there any advantage upgrading to the 560 camshafts?

For anyone wandering what I drive, I have a 500sec in smoked silver which was sent to Belgium back in the 80s and had the Carat Duchatelet kit added to it. I am yet to see another 500SEC Carat unfortunately so if anyone knows of another out there, please let me know!
Old 08-22-2019, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone got any insight they can offer on this? We have a 500SE and are looking at valvetrain refresh but finding 'correct' camshafts is proving difficult - a local MB dealer said they could help (at huge cost!) but the cams they turned out weren't the right ones for our car.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
so i had a massive write up on cam shaft issues in benzworld forum 126 section, but they screwed up their format so i cant even search for it...but if u goto the 500eboard in their 126 section uwill findsimilar

500 cams are 08, 09 stamped on back they have different degrees than 560

aftermarket 500 cams are around, new are hard to find.

when u say cam bearing do u mean the large gear the chain sits on ?
Old 03-11-2020, 03:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
500SEC Carat Duchatelet
Originally Posted by vdubpower
so i had a massive write up on cam shaft issues in benzworld forum 126 section, but they screwed up their format so i cant even search for it...but if u goto the 500eboard in their 126 section uwill findsimilar

500 cams are 08, 09 stamped on back they have different degrees than 560

aftermarket 500 cams are around, new are hard to find.

when u say cam bearing do u mean the large gear the chain sits on ?
Apologies I never got back to you. I am still on the hunt a 500SEC Camshaft believe it or not! But I didn't really do anything repair and resto wise over the winter, but on a warpath now to get the car sorted for summer.

When I say cam bearing, i mean the cam towers which the camshaft sits in. 1 is cracked through and sitting with about a 3mm gap, then the following 2 cam towers have cracks but have not separated. Mercedes have quoted me for new towers (or bearings), new oilers, chain guides and chain and the price is really quite reasonable for genuine MB parts from MB themselves.
I am hoping the camshaft can be reground but I'm not hopeful to be honest!