S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

380SE Transmission question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 380 SE
380SE Transmission question

Recently I have been having an intermittent problem getting the shifter to go into park. If I ran through the gears it would go in, but it was something I thought I needed to get looked at.

I was afraid it was a broken transmission mount putting everything in a bind, but the mechanic said it appears to be some of the bushings in the shifter. He had to order the parts so it was put back together while I we wait for the parts. Now the problem has changed. The car goes into park every time but the shifter appears to be off by about ¼ to ½ an inch. The notch for reverse is about half way between “N” and “R” on the shifter, and now when it does shift into park the car is clearly not completely in as it sometimes jumps into neutral. It seems that I need about ½ in travel adjustment somewhere.

My question is, is there some type of adjustment on the linkage? If the connecting rod were attached with an adjustable nut for instance I think that might b e enough to get the job done. I still don’t have my repair cd’s so I’m really lost here. I still plan to replace the bushings, but I just don’t want the car jumping out of park in the meantime.

Thanks for any advice.