S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Bought my 1st MB, what maintenance do I need??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 06:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought my 1st MB, what maintenance do I need??

Hi y'all. I just bought my first MB!! An '83 500 SEL. (Some of you said there's no '83 500SEL so it's probably an '84 but title says '83) Anyways, what maintenance is needed befire I put this baby into service. It's already passed emissions so I assume all that catalytic and other stuff is up to par. I'm planning to do the oil/filter, coolant, tranny fluid, inspect the timing chain and change the oil in the diff. Is there anything I overlooked or should look out for that these cars need to have checked before being put on the road? What about valve clearance (unless hydraulic which I'm not sure yet which these V8's have as I'm an MB newbie).

Now, what I also need is someone to tell me what weight of oil I should run? I typically run 5W30 or 10W40 in my American V8s. Also what sort of hypoid or other rear end lubricant do I need (weight, certification specs)?

Please help make my first MB experience enjoyable.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Oh yeah, one more thing I orgot about it. What gas do I need to run in it. Is regular unleaded ok or *gulp* do I need to shell out for the mid-grade or premium. Also, what highway mileage can I expect out of the 5 liter engine?
Old 07-29-2004, 03:01 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by meowy84
Hi y'all. I just bought my first MB!! An '83 500 SEL. (Some of you said there's no '83 500SEL so it's probably an '84 but title says '83) Anyways, what maintenance is needed befire I put this baby into service. It's already passed emissions so I assume all that catalytic and other stuff is up to par. I'm planning to do the oil/filter, coolant, tranny fluid, inspect the timing chain and change the oil in the diff. Is there anything I overlooked or should look out for that these cars need to have checked before being put on the road? What about valve clearance (unless hydraulic which I'm not sure yet which these V8's have as I'm an MB newbie).

Now, what I also need is someone to tell me what weight of oil I should run? I typically run 5W30 or 10W40 in my American V8s. Also what sort of hypoid or other rear end lubricant do I need (weight, certification specs)?

Please help make my first MB experience enjoyable.
all of that you've mentioned is suffice for a simple maintanance check up. i'm a newbie as well when it comes to MB's so i can't offer you much advise but keep up the work.

just a suggestion - it would be beneficial to use one of those engine, transmission, and fuel treatment fluids from either prolong or Zmax. prolong is to keep the engine components running smooth and zmax is to flush out any 'gunk' in the valves and other parts. i'd recommend you use zmax at least 3 times, once every 6000 miles. then you could go ahead with the prolong thereafter with every oil change.

just my 2 cents.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
86 W124
Things to do when you get a new car

The things you should do before you use a car is to check absolutly everything. If you want to keep the car forever, making a list of to do things is great.

Change fluids.
-Drain the coolant, use some coolant flush and then flush it through a few times with water. On MBs only use the yellow coolant and never the green. Dont forget to drain the drain the engine as well and when you refill it, do a burp.

-Oil, check it. Look at the level and check the consistency, make sure theres no white gunk on the cap. If your car doesnt smoke(blue, white) then I wouldnt worry about seals. Change it after about a 1000 miles as a precaution the first time as to wash anything out of it. I use 20w50 in my 450SEL. Personal preference.

-Brake fluid, this should be changed every 2 years at most. I recommend changing it.

-Power steering- Drain it out, and only use the right kind of fluid to fill it up, replace the filter.

-Tranny fluid. I recommend changing it even tho these cars have strong trannys.

-Brakes, check them over, change whatever is needed.

Anything else that is a wear item. I almost had an accident when I first had to use the windshield wipers and they smurred everything like crazy. Lights are good to check over. Lube the lock. Check weather stripping and replace as needed, older cars can get rained into easily. The timing chain is good to check over. The belts should be replaced if you can see wear. The air filter.

Wash, apply wax and enjoy.

Peter