S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Air metering boot - HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
190E, 500SEL
Air metering boot - HELP!

Hi All,

I have a 1985 500 SEL (Gen1) and am replacing the rubber boot underneath the fuel distributor as it is cracked. Merc don't make the original part 1161400018 which was a rubber boot bonded to a metal frame. I've had to buy the newer design which is a separate boot and frame. The new assembly fits to the fuel distributor fine but I'm having 2 issues;

1. The new frame digs into the hoses below and cant seat properly (the frame has a returns rather than a flat face); looks ok in the photo but with the distributor assembled it compresses the hose too much.

2. The hole in the new rubber boot that leads to the ICV is a few mm smaller in diameter so the male/male hose connector doesn't fit. I noticed this at the time of purchase and Merc sold me a new connector - I expected this to be a reducer but its the exact same part already in my car.

Has anyone been through the process of changing from old to new boots style and if so where am I going wrong? My local Mercedes parts team are really puzzled.

N.B. My photo shows the original boot/frame part on the left; I cut into it initially as I thought I would be able to re-use the frame.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-06-2022, 06:26 PM

'90 W124 CE M104
Watching as I'm going through the same woes.
Old 02-07-2022, 12:41 PM

190E, 500SEL
Originally Posted by JuanTwoFour
Watching as I'm going through the same woes.
Was an easy fix in the end. The plate has a ridge on it which fouls a hose beneath but as its aluminium, I just filed it off by hand.

The hole in the rubber boot is the correct size, I just hadn't appreciated how much the rubber distorts over time. The hose connector was tricky to get in; I needed grease and a vice.

I was just concerned initially as mercedes dealers would have you believe the parts are a direct swap but clearly that's not the case.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:12 PM

'90 W124 CE M104
Originally Posted by Straight6
Was an easy fix in the end. The plate has a ridge on it which fouls a hose beneath but as its aluminium, I just filed it off by hand.

The hole in the rubber boot is the correct size, I just hadn't appreciated how much the rubber distorts over time. The hose connector was tricky to get in; I needed grease and a vice.

I was just concerned initially as mercedes dealers would have you believe the parts are a direct swap but clearly that's not the case.
I ended up getting another complete air meter that had a new boot attached, as my plunger was sticking, and trying to clean it didn't help. It just arrived and I haven't installed yet. So, here's to hoping the combination of the two will fix my issue (car will start, run, but if you rev or accelerate, then let off, it will die).