S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Purchase advice needed, AGAIN!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 560SEL, 1999 S600, 2005 S600, 2008 S550 4Matic
Purchase advice needed, AGAIN!!

My first post on this message board had a similar title. I was seeking advice on purchasing an '84 300SD. Everyone recommended that I purchase it and so I did. And I have no regrets at all!

Now, seems like my purchase of the 300SD was just beginning of my love for the 126 chassis. Now every time I see a 126 for sale, I have to stop and have a look at it.

Right now I have to decide on which car to buy from these two:

Car 1:

1985 US 500SEL with 244K miles. The car's interior is in good shape. Everything works, from all heated seats to the power reclining rear seat. The seats have the usual wear from age, but nothing big really. The sunroof works but tends to start sliding off its rails as it opens. Also, the headliner under the sunroof is turning brown, a sign that water may have leaked into it. The paint on the outside is horrible and worn out. It will need a new coat of paint to look presentable. A/C doesn't blow cold. Rear windows are all tinted (look really nice). Brake pads seem worn, "Antilock" light stays on after car is started. Missing a piece of woodgrain from the dash. Dash has a very tiny crack on it. Motor mounts must be worn out or something because entire car shakes when idling, even worse than my diesel.

This car is from a mechanic. He repaired it for a customer in April this year and the customer hasn't come back for it. He also called the customer many times but never had his calls returned. So he obtained the title and is now selling it. The only service record the car has is from what the mechanic did which was extensive: he fixed a blown headgasket, performed a full valve job, replaced both timing chains, changed the coolant (he put the green stuff in there, blah), changed the spark plugs, engine oil, etc. The car was in his garage for two months. I know this because I saw the car there. Being a very honest man (he is a pastor), his asking price is simply the cost of the work he did on the car: $2,500.

Car 2:

1986 US 560SEL with 240K miles: Saw this at a used car dealer's lot. He purchased it from an auction, so naturally, no service records exist. Car's exterior is sharp and excellent. Deep blue in color. Previous owner mounted huge 235/60R15 tires on the car, and they are all good. Everything in the interior works, from sunroof to all seat heaters and window motors. A/C seemed to blow cold, though the temperature outside was just 55F so that wasn't a good test of the A/C. Interior seats just have the usual wear, with the driver's seat having a section that's completely torn out. Otherwise the rest of the interior is great. All the wood was in place, no cracks in dash. Engine bay looked like no one has ever cleaned it!! It also had the dreaded green coolant in the system. While the car's rear end wasn't sagging, I don't know if the hydroneumatic suspension is working. There is a hissing sound coming from the rear end, like something is leaking when the car is running. I tried to test the suspension by standing in the trunk (I weigh 285 lbs) while the dealer revved the engine to 3000rpm... but the rear end didn't rise up, so I guess it doesn't work. Is this a proper test for it?

I didn't get to drive it, as one of the tires is flat. The dealer said I can have my test drive tomorrow. His asking price is $3,000. However, I explained to him that purchasing an MB V8 without service records is a huge risk and he was impressed by my "seemingly detailed" knowledge of the car, so I know I can easily beat the price down to $2,500.

So there, I have two $2,500 MB 126 V8s, both with palomino interiors. The 560SEL is more attractive, however the 500SEL definitely has already undergone a top end overhaul. I am very confused on this. I am seeking your assistance so as to minimize the possibilities of making an illogical move. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300SE
Thumbs down If it were me?

I'd keep looking. Both cars have too many issues and that $2500 'investment' can double easily. Save up more cash and get a better sorted car. Just sayin'
dws