S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Anyone know what this is?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550 Coupe
Anyone know what this is?

We just bought a 380SEC from a mechanic. It has an aftermarket switch to the bottom left of the steering wheel and when you flip it one way, it idles normal, but you flip it the other way and it idles faster. Under the hood, there is a metal box that seems to say "Drag Rama Replaces Bosch <part number>" on it but the cursive is pretty bad so I'm not sure if that's what it really is. That runs to something sitting in front of the engine with a bunch of big blue wires that go out and into the left/right lower side of the engine (spark plugs?). Anyone ever heard of something like this? Know if the switch is connected to the box? Know if it does anything cooler than just make it idle faster? It's in the garage behind two other cars so I cant take try it out yet
Old 11-03-2004, 06:08 PM

That "thing in the front of the engine with all of the wires coming out" is the distributor. The wires indeed connect to spark plugs on each cylinder. The distributor gets power from the ignition coil and fires the spark plugs. I would imagine that the box you speak of is boosting the spark intensity or something, possibly replacing the factory coil all togather. How high does it idle in park and drive? Judging by the name of the device it sounds like its for drag racing, especially with an automatic transmission since we can't rev up the engine to the ideal rpm range on a launch without brake-revving. Sounds interesting. The mechanic doesn't know anything about it?
Old 11-03-2004, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
It doesn't idle much higher - in park i think it was around 600? and with this closer to 1000. I'm sure he knows about it since my dad said he can "adjust it for a little more pep if we want" but I havent asked him about it yet