S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

please advise me for my purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
560SEL
please advise me for my purchase

im looking to buy a mercedes 300SEL, 380SEL, 420SEL or similar however i will be buying the car from an auction of "as it is" condition.. which means i cant take the car out for mechanic checkup.. all i can do is to check the car throughly as much as i want and test drive it.. i cant find a mechanic who would be willing to sacrifice his day and spend time with me at auction checking cars for me..therefore im left with doin all the testing myself and im no mechanic

so i would like to have some advise form the experienced here on what to check, where to check and how to check.. especially about sniffing possible future failures by engine noise, smoke, oil, fuel driving performance and so on..

things i would specfically like check are suspension, engine condition, gear, airconditioning, other interior releated stuff and the hydraulic system..

i want a mint condition car and therefore only way i can achive this in an auction is by checking the car throughly..

thanks in advance to everyone willing to help
Old 11-18-2004, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Quick answer is....

sorry, no, the liklihood of you finding the caliber car you want at an auction is highliy unlikely. Most dealers just don't take their nicest stuff to the auction, unless it's highly aged inventory, and old 126's are becoming quite rare that aren't beat to a pulp or need everything. What you're mostly going to find is cars that are really cheap, and for a reason--usually they will need most everything. On a 126, whether it's a V8 or a 6, you're going to need a cylinder head job, potentially an AC evaporator, a radiator and water pump,etc. But the main thing is what the quality of the body and interior look like. My Dad always tught me that we can fix "broken", but you can't fix "rough". Dashes, worn out carpets, leather that totally gone--all these things cost big $$ in the Benz world. So while you might find a car for 3-4k at the sale, remember that it's most likely going to cost you another 3-4k once you get it home. Hope this helps, the old 126's are great cars, one of the last Benzes that are the real thing.
BTW, don't know where you're going to the auction, but most of the Mannheim sales offer an inspection service. Problem is, they can only give you the obvious answers, (pouring oil, no trans fluid, no AC), and they aren't Benz specific. You're also going to find that many of the older cars are going to be sold "red light", that is, absolutely as is where is, no mater if it quits going out of the lane, it's yours.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 300SDL aka the "Money Pit"
The 420's are good cars personaly I think the M116 V8 fits the W126 well. But timing chains need to be done every 10 years or 100k miles. The original 380's had a weak singal row chain make sure it has been updated. The 300SEL's are nice but get worse fuel mileage than the 420's and seem to burn oil.

If you want a mint MB you need to find a perfect one owner car with a full history. Also be ready to pay for it. I would not buy a W126 without someone who knows these cars well going over it. A W126 can hide $5k problems.

Buying a W126 at an auction will only get you a money pit unless you know a lot about these things.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:41 AM

560SEL
Originally Posted by allenjdmb
sorry, no, the liklihood of you finding the caliber car you want at an auction is highliy unlikely. Most dealers just don't take their nicest stuff to the auction, unless it's highly aged inventory, and old 126's are becoming quite rare that aren't beat to a pulp or need everything. What you're mostly going to find is cars that are really cheap, and for a reason--usually they will need most everything. On a 126, whether it's a V8 or a 6, you're going to need a cylinder head job, potentially an AC evaporator, a radiator and water pump,etc. But the main thing is what the quality of the body and interior look like. My Dad always tught me that we can fix "broken", but you can't fix "rough". Dashes, worn out carpets, leather that totally gone--all these things cost big $$ in the Benz world. So while you might find a car for 3-4k at the sale, remember that it's most likely going to cost you another 3-4k once you get it home. Hope this helps, the old 126's are great cars, one of the last Benzes that are the real thing.
BTW, don't know where you're going to the auction, but most of the Mannheim sales offer an inspection service. Problem is, they can only give you the obvious answers, (pouring oil, no trans fluid, no AC), and they aren't Benz specific. You're also going to find that many of the older cars are going to be sold "red light", that is, absolutely as is where is, no mater if it quits going out of the lane, it's yours.
dude.. i live in saudi arabia and auction for cars is a different story here..there is a dedicated city like place where cars are auctioned and its been since may be 100 years or more..

u find all kind of carsthere.. from junk yard scarpe to mint condition car, latest sports cars, coupes, antique collectors cars and etc etc etc

i just need to know the technique of checking a car properly.. while most of the auction agents attact a car checkup report or service history, but sometimes its simply not available..

and yes your dad is soo right that we can fix the broken but not the rough.. in my world i dub it.. we can re-fit the missing but not the broken
Old 11-20-2004, 02:47 AM

560SEL
found a 89-90 w124 (E300).. mint condition.. execptionally clean interior, exterior, and the engine compartment. only thing bothering me is that its an american import and i have heard that MB sold in america are detuned to lower compression ratio's and hence are a little under powered..

im also think if american benz have any engine parts different than euro version bcuz in that case it will be very hard for me to find parts..

the car cost 4000USD

the car was at the same auction too.. the service history doesnt indicate any major part replacement or such..

but if it is underpowered then im not intrested

Last edited by farooq; 11-20-2004 at 02:53 AM.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:36 PM

US spec cars are detuned. I would try to find a Euro spec one. For example the US spec M117 V8 has 240hp while the Euro had 300.

farooq you should have mentioned where you were I assumed you were in the US. I have no idea how to find a nice W126 in Saudi Arabi.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:34 AM

560SEL
Originally Posted by Hattaresguy

farooq you should have mentioned where you were I assumed you were in the US. I have no idea how to find a nice W126 in Saudi Arabi.
thats why my initial request in this thread was just to guide me on the tehnical side on how to check and stuff and not recommend me where i can find one...

anyway your answer cleared my confusion and im definately dropping the purchase..

but another confusion..

we dont have regular and premimun grade's of fuel here.. rather only one grade is sold which is octane 114..

how would a euro imported car with an engine desinged to give 300HP on lets say 95octane fuel would be affected by 114octane fuel..would it result in excess heat or something??

new cars imported here are probably having their engines tuned for 114 octane but thats not the case for used euro imports of Benz..

Last edited by farooq; 11-23-2004 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:39 PM

114! You guys keep the good stuff for yourself's! 114 should be fine for any Euro MB made.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:52 PM

Farooq, don't worry about the power on that engine. The US specified 300E is nearly identical in power output compared to the Euro 300E.

M103 rated 180 hp for US vs 188 hp for Euro. Not a huge difference there. Plus the US spec cars usually came with more options than Eurospec.

0-100 km/h is about 8.5 seconds in a US spec 300E with an automatic. About 8.1 seconds with a 5-sp manual. So, no worries.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:36 AM

560SEL
i got it :D

Originally Posted by DslBnz
Farooq, don't worry about the power on that engine. The US specified 300E is nearly identical in power output compared to the Euro 300E.

M103 rated 180 hp for US vs 188 hp for Euro. Not a huge difference there. Plus the US spec cars usually came with more options than Eurospec.

0-100 km/h is about 8.5 seconds in a US spec 300E with an automatic. About 8.1 seconds with a 5-sp manual. So, no worries.
great..

the dealer selling the US spec MB was a total noob... i made good saving by ranting to him abt having less power than euro spec counterpart..hehe..part my ignorance part his.. $3467USD ...mint condition.. all stock..black colour... never had any major fault...just usual maintaince and stuff

anyway i belive MB has not manufactured a complete new engine rather they just used some means to reduce the compression ratio little bit for emission standard..

i dont think there will be any power shortage when running on 114 octane..

the car has lots and lots of option..

only low side is odometer is miles not KM.. the speedometer is dual units so its ok..

has some electrical problem the tail lamps, dash lights, music system, AC and various other stuff switches on and off itself on bumbs and stuff.. probably a relay or cable is lose.. will fix it soon

all i can say.. N'JOY!!