S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

560SEL project car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
560SEL
560SEL project car

i got this 1990-560SEL for almost free from a good frind of mine.. the engine and transmission is in new like condition but a lot of other stuff is screwed up.. here is a list of things the car needs

front seats
ac compressor
shock absorbers
tires and optionaly new rim

all kind of sugesstions are welcome ..please give me ur thoughts on what shall i use if i decide to go for after market parts
Old 01-09-2005, 01:35 AM

1989 560SEL, 1999 S600, 2005 S600, 2008 S550 4Matic
Lucky you!

Lucky you!

Why don't I ever get cars for almost free like many other people do? A 560SEL would be a perfect addition to my current fleet of Benzos...

Anyway, I'd leave the A/C work till the summer. If you're replacing the compressor, you're advised to replace the accumulator/dryer as well. Also, make sure the entire system is thoroughly flushed clean prior to that replacement, or else the new compressor will almost certainly fail within a few months' time. Also, only get factory rebuilt compressors as they are the only ones that have consistently shown that they can work past the one year warranty.

Regarding front seats, I believe you can purchase rebuild kits for them from some website but I don't know the name of the site.

How do you know your shock absorbers are shot? M-B shocks normally last for a very very long time before they need replacement. How many miles do you have on the car? Either way I'm suspicious that your problem is something else not shocks. Are these front or rear shocks or are you referring to all of them? The reason why I am asking is because - in case you don't know - your new Benz doesn't have conventional shocks at the rear.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:12 PM

560SEL
Originally Posted by braverichard
Lucky you!

Why don't I ever get cars for almost free like many other people do? A 560SEL would be a perfect addition to my current fleet of Benzos...

Anyway, I'd leave the A/C work till the summer. If you're replacing the compressor, you're advised to replace the accumulator/dryer as well. Also, make sure the entire system is thoroughly flushed clean prior to that replacement, or else the new compressor will almost certainly fail within a few months' time. Also, only get factory rebuilt compressors as they are the only ones that have consistently shown that they can work past the one year warranty.

i have very trusted and perfect mechanics around.. he told me the exact same thing.. that he is gonna replace the expansion bulb, dryer.. , flush the entire refrigation system with R11.. and then proceed to completion.. the orignal refrigation system of this car usues R12.. i was to replace the compressor with one using R134a..so im looking for one which can fit right in or via adapter plug...im gonna get the of either a newer mercedes or anything bosch or denso which can fit in directly or via adapter. yet reliable and powerful..

Regarding front seats, I believe you can purchase rebuild kits for them from some website but I don't know the name of the site.
im looking for more styling and comfort here.. i dont like the MB seats.. and hate the adjustment switches on the door panel.. i rather prefer the adjustment switches on the seat side itself.. like for lexus and ford's

How do you know your shock absorbers are shot? M-B shocks normally last for a very very long time before they need replacement. How many miles do you have on the car? Either way I'm suspicious that your problem is something else not shocks. Are these front or rear shocks or are you referring to all of them? The reason why I am asking is because - in case you don't know - your new Benz doesn't have conventional shocks at the rear.
well only front shocks i belive need replacement bcuz the car make a lot of nose dive when braking.. what kind of rear shocks absorbers u r referring to?? do u mean those hydralic ones??

and and since its a project car with a long base... i want to make it all luxry and stuff.. i really miss a super luxry benz in my fleet :p
Old 01-10-2005, 01:16 PM

1989 560SEL, 1999 S600, 2005 S600, 2008 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by farooq

i have very trusted and perfect mechanics around.. he told me the exact same thing.. that he is gonna replace the expansion bulb, dryer.. , flush the entire refrigation system with R11.. and then proceed to completion.. the orignal refrigation system of this car usues R12.. i was to replace the compressor with one using R134a..so im looking for one which can fit right in or via adapter plug...im gonna get the of either a newer mercedes or anything bosch or denso which can fit in directly or via adapter. yet reliable and powerful..
Well, no matter what you do, DON'T CONVERT TO R134a!! I made that mistake on my 300SD. That A/C system doesn't work effectively with the new refridgerant. I understand that R12 will be expensive to purchase, but if you retain you R12 will be very happy with the results -- great, rapid cooling. Additionally, the high pressures of R134a will destroy your compressor eventually. It may takes some years, but it will effectively shorten the life of your compressor.

im looking for more styling and comfort here.. i dont like the MB seats.. and hate the adjustment switches on the door panel.. i rather prefer the adjustment switches on the seat side itself.. like for lexus and ford's
Well maybe you ought to sell that car to someone else who appreciates it! This isn't some low class, crapass, imitator Lexus or Ford. I like both Lexus and Ford, but you're better off leaving that car as it is. The engineers made all of it the way it is and your altering it could result in some bad news. For instance, the excellent safety engineering could be altered by changing the seats. Also, why on earth would anyone want to change those seat switches? They are in the world's original seat switch location and by far the most ergonomic. I guess tastes differ. However your W126 Benz is no Honda Civic! While mine isn't quite in its stock condition, messing with things as vital as the car's seats isn't a very clever thing to do - if only for safety's sake!!

well only front shocks i belive need replacement bcuz the car make a lot of nose dive when braking.. what kind of rear shocks absorbers u r referring to?? do u mean those hydralic ones??
Well, have your front end inspected to make sure it is the shocks. How many miles are we talking about here?

And yes, I was referring to the hydraulic suspension setup you have at the rear end of the car.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:51 PM

560SEL
converting KM to miles its around 140K miles but dont worry the engine rev's up and pumps up power like new.. i belive its been rebuilt or something.. anyway i had the car check well at a profession benz repair shop and they gave me the list of things needing replacement.. and shocks are mentioned there offcourse..

R12 uses a different kind of compressor than r134a.. u cant just pump R134a into R12 compressor.. to use R134a..u should have the compatible compressor.. my dad is an HVAC engineer and i dont think anyone else here knows abt refrigants and compressors more than him.. hehe...

anyway im convinced that changin the type of seats will required a few modifications to its base and hence the risk of losing crash safety capability and stuff..i will just put benz seats in them.. may be from the same model or newer one.. what ever fits the base without ANY modifications or weld-on's...

and i dont thing i am ever goin to sell my project car.. i mean come on we are talking abt a car here on which i have spent my valuable time and life to build it, customize it all with my hands.. its unique in my opnion.. why would i like to see someone else drive it.. wouldnt even let any one inherit it.. i would rather have it destroyed or kept in sealed showcase after i die...
Old 01-10-2005, 05:01 PM

560SEL
and since i want to make it all luxry and ****.. may be a maybach immitator.. hehe.. well i wish.. anyway for sake or anyone intrest.. here are the things i plan to do insider after i get all the outside fixed up well..

- replace all wooden trim with hand made custom trim..
- custom made hand built wooden shift knob
- LED illumination in the display tablo
- replace every conventional bulb in tablo with an appropiate colour LED
- replace switches (for windows, sunroof, etc etc) with something of a newer style
- power mirror on both sides
- New rims and tyres..orignal benz offcourse but with some good styling
- Hand built leather streering cover
- replace all stock leather stuff with hand built one..
- Install computer system and 15inch screen
- Modifications in the rear doors or back of front seats to accomodate custom hand built multi-purpose table top for each passenger in the rear (to be used for writting or dining)
- replace interior handles with custom made hand built wooden ones..

and thinking for more to come..