S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Installed new accumulators but no change in ride quality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Installed new accumulators but no change in ride quality

I did a search on "accumulators" and found many threads and spent hours reading last couple days but none really addressed the issues I have.

I installed 2 new accumulators but noticed there is no difference in ride quality at all. I know the old accumulators are shot because when I removed them, ALOT of foamy fluid (an indication of bad accumulators) came out.
I tested the hydraulic pump and valve and all are working perfectly. There is no leak at the shocks are anywhere. I also did the fluid flush and even tried to get the old fluid in the shocks out by filling and emtying it a few times by raising and lowering the valve level (the rear also rised and lowered).

The car performs exactly like I was still riding on the old accumulators. The dampening is there. The ride is not bouncy but harsh on rough roads especially over pot holes and expansion joints. It goes "kaboom" and jolt a little over pot holes and expansion joints. I do not think it bottoming out because the rear is at the right height and still has lot of travel.

I don't really know what is going on Did I miss something during the installation? What else is wrong?

Any advise, helps, comments are very much appreciated.

THANKS!!!
Old 01-19-2005, 03:48 PM

2 many to drive in 1 day
Rear shocks

Well what I did was get the back seat out and looked and replaced the rubber bushing that the shocks ride on , mine were alittle lose . Now it seems to not make that noise that you are hearing . just watch out for the hose on the shock on top . dont want to crack the fitting that it right there where you need to be , that be the fluid hose to the shock . may just need to be tighten , it will only go so far then the threads will start to strip , so if you have to go that far then replace the rubber bushing , that is a cheap part and you dont have to go to the MB dealer for that . Any shop should have them . May have to let out the fluid to drop the shocks to get the rubber bushing out if you do replace them , I put a dubble nut on them so it wont go loose again . Hope that is all it is , sounds like you have done the rest all that you can do . Let me know what happens . DW . Ballman32@aol.com
Old 01-19-2005, 06:32 PM

Thanks DW! I got the same advice from other MB forum that my strut bushings have worned out and collapsed and making that "kaboom" sound. I have ordered them (2 upper bushings per strut) thru MB shop since the price difference is negligible. I am so looking forward to replace these and get rid of this annoying thump and enjoying the smooth ride an MB car supposed to be.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:43 AM

I finally have the time did the upper strut bushing replacement today and the problem went away. No more "Kaboomm" over pot holes or rough roads and the ride is so smooth. THANKS