S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Stop to a Leaky Sunroof ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1981 300SD
Stop to a Leaky Sunroof ?

Hello everybody.
I just purchased my first Benz three weeks ago (also my first Diesel). Actually, the purchase more or less just happened - I needed wheels to tie me over until next August. All the rest of the cars that I looked at (in my "cashdeal" price range) were more or less just junk. This Benz sure isn't pretty cosmetically, but it seems very solid and it immediately made an impression on me (and continues to do so). It is actually starting to appear, that I am going to keep this one...since I am a bit mechanically inclined I am also interested in learning about the diesel upkeep (or shall we say 'bound to learn'!??).
<p>
So for the question:
Had the first rains come thru last weekend and came to realize that the sunroof is leaky (and I guess this explains the mold on the rear deck). Does anybody happen to have any good ideas (as in cheap) on how to put a stop to that (don't want the Benz become a Das Boot). I tried to look for previous posts on this subject, but didn't find anything highly pertinent. I've tried to see if the 'alleged' drain channels (?) are clogged... but haven't gotten very far. Any ideas? (never had a sunroof, either)

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-02-2005, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
560SEL
most probably change the gasket and make sure the sunroof is seating tight..not leaving any gaps or so ..
Old 03-03-2005, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 300SDL aka the "Money Pit"
The gasket doesn't stop water from coming in it seems to be for wind noise only. Their are two drains at the very front of the sunroof. Open it up all of the way and look into the front corners. Now look in the front wheel wells and you will see a hose in the back of each well, thats where the drains go. I find a controlled burst with an air compressor will work well. Also clean up the track and lube the sunroof.

The sunroof is just a panal that sits on a gutter, the gutter does all of the work.