S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

Stumpling and hesitation on excelleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stumpling and hesitation on excelleration

I have 1996 S320, ever since I had it it had a proble. When I start the car it works fine. I start driving ....still fine.............when I make a first stop and then start driving again it start to stumble, won't excellerate it seem like only half the cylinders are working. to fix this I stop, turn off the engine and then turn it back on.....works fine. Then I stop at a store for 10 min, come out start it....RPMs drop to 400-500 then go back up.....back and forth. I turn off and restart the engine it works fine again. It also gives a very hard kick when it is working normally and switches from 1st to 2nd gear, however when it stumbles and misfires it does not kick while switching. I took it to a dealer and he can't see whats wrong with it. Basically it needs to be started, turned off and started again to work normally. ..................I thought it might be plugs and wires but why would it work normally after you restart it.

This stuff drives me crazy and nobady seems to know whats wrong with it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:25 PM

n/a
I "had" the same problem

In response to your question, I had this going on with my '95 S320 for the longest time, without any "Check Engine" lighting up . But then about a month ago the light came on. I took it to my mechanic and after diagnostics, he said there were 2 things needed:

1) Replace sparkplugs (should be done every year...which I failed to do)
2) Replace Camshaft sensor (which apparently controls timing and went bad)

After doing these two things, the car runs normal again without any "restarting" at every stoplight.

Hopefully this helps and you'd be again!
Old 05-26-2005, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its one of the engiene electrical components. Either its the spark plug, the spark plug wire, distributor cap (or ignition coils depending on year). fix that and it will fix the problem
Old 06-01-2005, 03:16 PM

Shaking

I replaced the wire and checked coils and they are fine.............,but the problem is still there...................now...............someone mentioned about EGR valve.................that controls exhaust recirculation.............I've researched and found that if it malfunctions stays always open or closed it can create a huge vauum leak.................whick would explain the shaking of the engine and loss of power.....................gonna take to the dealer and let them figure it out..................also my emission sensor doesn't function propertly................I assume that could be part of the problem................
Old 06-01-2005, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hmm, i never thought of EGR, that MIGHT be apart of the problem, But it could also a ingition coil or distributor (depending on model year, yours is 96 so ignition coil). If it is EGR i wonder if the EGR can just be bypassed (for performacne sake). did you find out if EGR can be bypassed without any complications?
Old 06-01-2005, 04:39 PM

a Few Nice cars.
I dont know about Benz but my Riviera had that problem and it was the EGR that was bad,Could be possible that its the EGR or could be as simple as Bad Gas too.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:35 AM

shaking

Checked my EGR valves last night...............pulled out all the hoses and there is no vacuum in any of them...........is that normal...................my mech said that if you pinch any of the pipes going to or from the EGR it should start ideling more rough........and RPM should drop down so that you can notice...................so I did it to ny car and there was no difference at all. Then I pulled out every pipe to see if there is any air flow and there was nothing in any of the pipe.............looks like I don't have any vacuum at all....................Any ideas what to check for next..............?
Old 06-02-2005, 09:52 PM

Your booster vacuum hose could have a leak somewhere, I had mine replaced recently.....
Old 06-08-2005, 03:39 PM

The dealer figured it out....................my ignition coil was bad and the car misfired on two cylinders............just changed it yesterday and the problem is gone..........................however it still kicks sometimes when it switches from 1st to 2nd................about 30% of the times.......................not sure what causes that .............but that's not my consern at the moment ......................just wanted get rid of the shaking and loss of power.........and the coil pack did it...............
Old 06-10-2005, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

told u