S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

S600 common problem?? Please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S600 common problem?? Please help

guys,

i am almost about to pull the trigger on a S600 in Asia. The car looks pretty good, but i have yet to test drive it. What are the known problems with this car? especially the more expensive ones?
Old 09-22-2006, 08:39 AM

1995 S600 Sedan
Wiring harnesses, Electronic Throttle Actuators, ADS suspension problems, Door close assist, radio / CD changer, AC evaporator (this alone can run $4,000), Climate Control system, Rear Struts, Accumulators, etc etc etc. Be prepared to continuously shell out big money for repairs and maintenance. See my webpage for some of the repairs I had to do.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:30 PM

s600

I just bought a S600 and the car feels great. It doesnt feel like I'm gonna have any problems. I feel very confident driving the car. Everything is working perfect.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:31 AM

1995 S600 Sedan
Congratulations! I wish you the best, and hope you enjoy that magnificent car.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:32 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
a car that confirms all your prejudices
Where in Asia is it?
Old 09-26-2006, 05:49 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
a car that confirms all your prejudices
In case that sounded a bit abrupt... It can make a difference as to what you should watch for.

If it's in Hong Kong, and if it's a four-door (mine's a coupe), it was almost certainly used for cross-border transport by someone who owned a factory in Mainland China. That means it's spent a lot of time on very bad roads, so the suspension will have had a hard time. It might also have holes in the bodywork from where the secondary Chinese licence plate was attached.

If it's in Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, India, Sri Lanka or Macau, it'll be right-hand drive. If it's anywhere else (that I can think of off the top of my head) it'll be left-hand drive

If it's from the tropics (Hong Kong and all points South), the humidity gets to the glue on the interior trim. And the aircon can be a bit dodgy.

If it's from Taiwan, it will have been crashed repeatedly.

If it's from Hong Kong and hasn't been used for cross-border traffic, don't be put off by what seems like an unrealistically low mileage - Hong Kong is very small, and you can't go very far.

If it's from Japan and it's black, with blacked-out windows, there may be a dead body in the back. Check all the storage spaces for fingers too.

If it's from Mainland China, it will have spent its life on very challenging roads, but I wouldn't think it would be much of a bargain if it were in China.

If it's in Hong Kong, and you're not, then if there's anything wrong with it, you should probably get any necessary work done here before you send it away - every second car here is a Merc, so there are a lot of cheap mechanics with a lot of relevant experience and access to high quality new and used parts.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1993 300SEL/S320
Originally Posted by hkmb
In case that sounded a bit abrupt... It can make a difference as to what you should watch for.

If it's in Hong Kong, and if it's a four-door (mine's a coupe), it was almost certainly used for cross-border transport by someone who owned a factory in Mainland China. That means it's spent a lot of time on very bad roads, so the suspension will have had a hard time. It might also have holes in the bodywork from where the secondary Chinese licence plate was attached.

If it's in Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, India, Sri Lanka or Macau, it'll be right-hand drive. If it's anywhere else (that I can think of off the top of my head) it'll be left-hand drive

If it's from the tropics (Hong Kong and all points South), the humidity gets to the glue on the interior trim. And the aircon can be a bit dodgy.

If it's from Taiwan, it will have been crashed repeatedly.

If it's from Hong Kong and hasn't been used for cross-border traffic, don't be put off by what seems like an unrealistically low mileage - Hong Kong is very small, and you can't go very far.

If it's from Japan and it's black, with blacked-out windows, there may be a dead body in the back. Check all the storage spaces for fingers too.

If it's from Mainland China, it will have spent its life on very challenging roads, but I wouldn't think it would be much of a bargain if it were in China.

If it's in Hong Kong, and you're not, then if there's anything wrong with it, you should probably get any necessary work done here before you send it away - every second car here is a Merc, so there are a lot of cheap mechanics with a lot of relevant experience and access to high quality new and used parts.

My car turned up here from Singapore with a new paint job, the code under the bonnet is different, riiiiiiight......