S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

'96 S320W Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'96 S320, '84 450 SL
'96 S320W Starting Problem

My '96 S320 has a puzzling starting problem. It starts flawlessly most times, but once in a while (every 3 weeks or so) it will not start. I turn the key, all the lights come on, but nothing happens - just silence, no cranking at all.

Different mechanics, including the dealer, has tried to solve the problem, but to no avail. I've replaced the neutral starting lock switch (?? or something like that) and it hasn't helped.

When this happens, I can do one of two things: wait a few minutes, and sometimes it starts. Or, I can rock the gear shift back and forth between "park" and "neutral", and usually this does the trick and it starts.

About three years ago, I had the same problem and nobody had the solution. Then I had the battery replaced, and the problem disappeared until now.

I had my current battery checked twice. Both times different mechanics reported that the battery is still OK and the connections are tight.

Any solutions to this aggravating problem would be much appreciated.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 Bluetec, 1996 S320 & 2006 E320 CDI Sold to my son & 2017 GMC 2500 Diesel Pick up
Originally Posted by doc2th
My '96 S320 has a puzzling starting problem. It starts flawlessly most times, but once in a while (every 3 weeks or so) it will not start. I turn the key, all the lights come on, but nothing happens - just silence, no cranking at all.

Different mechanics, including the dealer, has tried to solve the problem, but to no avail. I've replaced the neutral starting lock switch (?? or something like that) and it hasn't helped.

When this happens, I can do one of two things: wait a few minutes, and sometimes it starts. Or, I can rock the gear shift back and forth between "park" and "neutral", and usually this does the trick and it starts.

About three years ago, I had the same problem and nobody had the solution. Then I had the battery replaced, and the problem disappeared until now.

I had my current battery checked twice. Both times different mechanics reported that the battery is still OK and the connections are tight.

I would say if a battery worked once and now the battery is 3 years old, change it again. Thats an inexpencive start you could spend ten times that much looking for the problem. If it doen't fix the problem a three years old battery is about at the end of its life so money not wasted. The contact thing with moving the shifter would be the next place to consentrate on. Many problems can be caused of several differant things.I believe in starting with most obvious and least costing fix and work my way up. OK now you have my 2 cents worth.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by doc2th

CPS- Crank Position Sensor.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:23 AM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
We actually have one in the shop right now and the ignition switch fixed it..
Old 02-21-2007, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'96 S320, '84 450 SL
Originally Posted by Racin_fool
We actually have one in the shop right now and the ignition switch fixed it..
Thanks for the suggestion. However, the switch was replaced three years ago when this first happened, and the starting problem persisted until the battery was replaced (the battery tested OK at that time too).