S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

Dash removal to replace Evaporator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash removal to replace Evaporator

well took the car to the MB tech and confirmed that the evap has failed... they quoted $800 for the evap and $2200 for labor... i am pretty handy and have done dash removals on my other car, but I am sure with the MB there are tons more of electronics, wires, gadgets...

does anyone know where i can find information for dash removal???

if it is not available online, would this work???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...spagenameZWDVW

i tried searching but came up with nothing... thanks in advanced...
Old 06-06-2007, 01:07 AM

1998 S500
I know that I have run across a pretty detailed explanation (with pictures) of the evaporator R&R process on-line or on one of the main MB forums. I cannot recall where I saw it but was definitely there and I saw it within the last few months. It looked like a real chore! Good Luck.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:24 AM

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
If you are not familiar with EVERY aspect of this car, I would not attempt to take on this job yourself. This is not just a dash removal job. The heater box is HUGE and has to be completely disassembled along with the center console, cowl and a few special tools are required. I cannot stress this enough. You will regret it!
Old 06-06-2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by dmacgreg
I know that I have run across a pretty detailed explanation (with pictures) of the evaporator R&R process on-line or on one of the main MB forums. I cannot recall where I saw it but was definitely there and I saw it within the last few months. It looked like a real chore! Good Luck.
any idea of the main MB forums that you mentioned??? i can go search there???
Old 06-06-2007, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by bicylindrico
If you are not familiar with EVERY aspect of this car, I would not attempt to take on this job yourself. This is not just a dash removal job. The heater box is HUGE and has to be completely disassembled along with the center console, cowl and a few special tools are required. I cannot stress this enough. You will regret it!

thanks for the advise... i totally understand what you are saying, but paying $2200 labor is out of the question right now... i know that this is a diff car but if i can at least get to the evap my mechanic won't charge me as much labor if he just changes the evap...
Old 06-06-2007, 11:44 AM

1998 S500
If you search for "evaporator" on the Benzworld W140 forum there are plenty of hits. This one looks like a good place to start.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140...ght=evaporator

There is a web site referenced and it sounds like there are some videos available to walk you through the process.

It sounds very challenging but doable. I hope to never go down that road!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by dmacgreg
If you search for "evaporator" on the Benzworld W140 forum there are plenty of hits. This one looks like a good place to start.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140...ght=evaporator

There is a web site referenced and it sounds like there are some videos available to walk you through the process.

It sounds very challenging but doable. I hope to never go down that road!
thanks for your help... now im just wondering if www.alldatadiy.com provides the same info as the CD Tech Manual that i found on eBay... i would rather have the CD for life than have to pay a yearly subscription... can anyone confirm the info found on the tech CD??? thanks again for all your help...
Old 06-06-2007, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
well took the car to the MB tech and confirmed that the evap has failed... they quoted $800 for the evap and $2200 for labor... i am pretty handy and have done dash removals on my other car, but I am sure with the MB there are tons more of electronics, wires, gadgets...

does anyone know where i can find information for dash removal???

if it is not available online, would this work???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...spagenameZWDVW

i tried searching but came up with nothing... thanks in advanced...

Try The Mercedees site that the Techs use http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/
Or Locate a copy of the MB WIS as It will have all the steps to do the job and ANY Other work on the 220

Seen LOTS of the evaps fail...It is Not hard ...Could Do two a day when they were in warranty...MB paid decent for the job!But the first couple are a learning curve re tools and info
Old 06-09-2007, 05:19 PM

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by MARK CUMMINS
Try The Mercedees site that the Techs use http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/
Or Locate a copy of the MB WIS as It will have all the steps to do the job and ANY Other work on the 220

Seen LOTS of the evaps fail...It is Not hard ...Could Do two a day when they were in warranty...MB paid decent for the job!But the first couple are a learning curve re tools and info
Last time I checked we were in the W140 section. I will assume you are a fellow Benz tech and making the comment that they are not hard to a person that has likely never done any extensive disassembly on this car is very POOR advise. We are all impressed you could do two a day I'm sure.

If this is the first this individual has done and can only work on the car a few hours a day, I bet this car will be apart for weeks with a bucket of screws left over. This is one of the larger jobs a 140 owner will encounter. If you can't afford to have the repair done correctly then why own this car?
Best of luck to you regardless.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
92 500sel/01 320e wag
I am one of the more fortunate 140 owners, they had to replace the evap, but while thy were in there they replaced various seals, expansion valve, drier and filter. the R&R for the heater housing is 14 hrs plus the R&R on the evap is 2.6 alone, the dealer split the cost for parts and labor 50-50 ($1500)I saw my car taken apart, and would never attempt it. I have above average skills and have worked as a mechanic while going to school.
I would never trust the job to someone who has not done more than one, two in one day hmmm!
Old 06-10-2007, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C230 K , 2001 ML320
"just wondering if www.alldatadiy.com provides the same info"

I purchased this for my 1999 S600, very disappointed that there are NO how to info, just drawings and location info.

Also purchased the eBay CDs, but found they won't work with Windows Vista Business edition. One more reason to hate Vista.