S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

1995 S500 Climate Control and other misc. questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:10 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2011 G55 + others
1995 S500 Climate Control and other misc. questions

i just purchased this S500 and i'm having trouble determining what these issues are

1) The climate control unit(older style, this is a 1995) seems to be having a mind of its own. It runs even after i turn the car off without pressing the rest button. This happens everytime i turn it on. It also runs at its own speed, i cannot change the fan blower speed by turning the dial to min or anything in between. The blower motor does run, as it's blowing full blast sometimes. Also, once i turn it on by pressing either the front windshield defroster button, or turning the wheel to max it takes a few minutes for it to turn on. Once it's ON , there is no way to shut it off. I tried pressing 0, but nothing happens. It stays on for about 10 mins after the car is shut off and locked.

Both the A/C and heater work fine, the heater seems to be not as hot as i would expect it but still fairly warm nonetheless.

I'm also noticing some condensation formin on the lower part of the front windshield when the AC/Heat are off.

What could it be?

2) There is a audible clunk coming from the rear of the car when goin over larger potholes. Other than that the car rides smooth and freeway cruising is perfectly fine. is this coming from the shocks or the shock mounts? what are the symptoms of blown self leveling shocks? is there anyway to test exactly whats causing the noise?

3)The odometer display is out. It can be read but it's very dim and it seems like the light bulb that displays the mileage and trip meter is out. is this the same bulb or different?> anywhere else to get them other than the dealer?

4) The swithcblade remote is not working. The central locking works fine when using the key but the remote does nothing when the button is pressed. New battery time? can it be something else?

thanks alot guys and i hope someone will have some answers
Old 02-23-2008, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1993 300SEL/S320
1:

I've not seen it running when the car is off but usually a blower that won't take orders is a sign the blower regulator is finished. It's under the pollen filter that will also most likely be clogged. You can get them off Ebay.

Here is a how-to:

http://v12uberalles.com/pollen_filter.htm

The regulator is the little black box on the top of the blower:

2:

No idea, I'd have a mechanic put it on the lift and check it, bad shocks is a very bouncy ride or a harsh ride in the car.

3:

Bulbs are behind the cluster, here is a how-to:

http://v12uberalles.com/instrument_cluster_removal.htm

They are basic bulbs not sure how many though.

4:

Could be batteries, it's the cheapest place to start. Also if it's the remote and not the car quite often the button contacts can become seperated from the circut in the remote and need to be resoldered.

Hope that helps
Old 02-23-2008, 06:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2011 G55 + others
thanks for the reply. i sourced a climate control unit for cheap and i'm going to give that a try first. If not i'll move on to the blower regulator.

is there any write-ups on how to get to this climate control units? i've been searching around for a few hours now and i can;t find any good write-ups on how to remove the wood trim, and i 'd hate to break it by not knowing what i'm doing.