S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

Looking at an S-Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 BMW Z3 1.9L
Question Looking at an S-Class

Hey there,

I purchased a BMW Z3 this summer, and while it is a nice car and all, it's no fun in the winter and I definitely miss having friends with me! Last week a friend of mine let me borrow his 1994 600 SEL because my car was in the shop (plastic windows suck). I immediately fell in love. That thing cruises down the freeway. This was the first time in a while that I made up excuses to go places just so I could drive it. Either way, now that I'm going off to college, I figure that the only time I'd ever use a car would be to go on long distance trips, and everybody (even bimmer fans) knows that Mercedes does that best.

First of all, I want more power. My wimpy little 1.9L engine pulls along a Z3 when I rev it hard, but his 6.0L V12 seemed ready and willing at any RPM's and at any speed. Any thoughts on the differences among W140 engines? I know the S320 is underpowered, but is there really that much of a difference between the 420, 500, and 600 besides acceleration? I'm pretty sure they all have the same top speed (155 if I'm not mistaken), but want to know if the smaller engines take anything away from highway cruising or city driving.

Also, I think the stock W140s look a little cheesy. I've seen some "pimped out" ones around here, and also looked on eBay. I think the Brabus front spoiler looks absolutely amazing, but haven't been able to find any for sale online, any comments? Next come the wheels. That's what Mercedes gives you stock: wheels. Not rims or dubs, just wheels. They are so small and plain it is almost embarassing. I'm looking at either Lowenhart 20s or AMG (Monoblock IIs ?) 19s. I'm pretty decided on chrome, but was wondering how these giant wheels affect ride or comfort. And finally the two-tone paint. I want mine in black, but doesn't total body color paint only come after '96? I think if I want something with a bigger engine (500 or 600), I'd have to go 92-94 style because of costs. Therefore, it will come with two tone paint, which I don't want. Anyone know of a quality paint shop in the Boston area or know how much a respectable paint job costs (My guess is around $2000-$4000)? And one complaint: there is nobody on the internet who offers w140 upgrades besides BergWerks! To give you an idea of what I'm looking for in a car, see this website: Plenty O' S600s

And finally, any information on reliability? I've heard that Mercs are built for life, but I also hear that repairs cost an arm and a leg. Any first-hand accounts?

So Basically, I want a nice, fast, luxurious, reliable car that won't leave me without dinner because of expenses. Any information will be helpful. From what I read the W140 is the best car in the world, but considering I'm in the W140 forum you guys are probably a little bit biased. Either way, I've fallen in love with Mercedes. By the way, anyone interested in a 1996 BMW Z3? 5-speed manual, 55k miles, flawless condition (waxed and oil change once per month). Remember, spring is just around the corner! I also accept trades, as long as they're what I'm looking for Thanks!

~ Stubanz