S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

Comparison: 97 S500 vs 97 740il

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500E -92 and 560SEL -90
I would pick a S500 over a 740 due to that it's simply better in most aspects (in those qualities worth paying attention to in this class) EXCEPT handling.
There's a reason to why a used 7-series has a pricetag about half of that of an S-class from the same year here in Europe.

The thing is also if you buy a W140 you have a car with some qualities that will probably never be beaten. The total feel of driving such a massive heavy cruiser will not be present in any other new car. Therefore there will always be something special about it that just can't be beaten or replaced with a newer car.
Therefor I think the S-class is much more of a colectible car also..that's reflected in the pricetag here in Europe at least.

A 740 won't even outpace a european spec 560SEL w126 in acceleration.

When it comes to the handling part I would not really care in such a car. The other qualities gives you so much more joy in the long run.
You will never feel the need of taking corners at high speeds and racing around. The "feel" of just cruising around in such a car is what makes the big joy. When you buy older cars such things is much more important I think.

One more thing also. A 7-series BMW is NOT a sports car whatever you do to it! It's a very capable handler for it's size.. but it's NOT a sportscar whatever anyone says.
If someone claimes that he does not know what a sports car is. Therefor I don't see any point in getting the 7 series for that matter either.
If you want true fun sports car handling then you buy a Subaru or an old mini Cooper or something as a second car. Only then you will satisfy all needs 100%.

Something that should not be understated though is that the S-class (and Mercs in general) have a very good cornering grip that most cars does not beat. Often better than even BMW.
The W140 is also a good handler for its size and weight.
The highspeed stability of an S-class is not beaten by any other car from the same era.
I have never driven a car of any other make that lowers your bloodpressure as much as a w140
Old 08-05-2004, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Mercedes E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Henrik
I would pick a S500 over a 740 due to that it's simply better in most aspects (in those qualities worth paying attention to in this class) EXCEPT handling.
There's a reason to why a used 7-series has a pricetag about half of that of an S-class from the same year here in Europe.

The thing is also if you buy a W140 you have a car with some qualities that will probably never be beaten. The total feel of driving such a massive heavy cruiser will not be present in any other new car. Therefore there will always be something special about it that just can't be beaten or replaced with a newer car.
Therefor I think the S-class is much more of a colectible car also..that's reflected in the pricetag here in Europe at least.

A 740 won't even outpace a european spec 560SEL w126 in acceleration.

When it comes to the handling part I would not really care in such a car. The other qualities gives you so much more joy in the long run.
You will never feel the need of taking corners at high speeds and racing around. The "feel" of just cruising around in such a car is what makes the big joy. When you buy older cars such things is much more important I think.

One more thing also. A 7-series BMW is NOT a sports car whatever you do to it! It's a very capable handler for it's size.. but it's NOT a sportscar whatever anyone says.
If someone claimes that he does not know what a sports car is. Therefor I don't see any point in getting the 7 series for that matter either.
If you want true fun sports car handling then you buy a Subaru or an old mini Cooper or something as a second car. Only then you will satisfy all needs 100%.

Something that should not be understated though is that the S-class (and Mercs in general) have a very good cornering grip that most cars does not beat. Often better than even BMW.
The W140 is also a good handler for its size and weight.
The highspeed stability of an S-class is not beaten by any other car from the same era.
I have never driven a car of any other make that lowers your bloodpressure as much as a w140
do you have any idea about anything you just said. the s class is certainly good looking and im sure its very stable at high speed. but it does not handle remotly sporty, i pushed the s500 i had to the limits and it took a lot to control it, this was the lorinser edition with fenders, rims, exhaust

you make a lot of general statements but dont back up anything with numbers, etc.

when you compare values you forgot the msrp of the s500 was $15~$20k more expensive when new then the iL, so apples to oranges
Old 08-05-2004, 08:46 PM

500E -92 and 560SEL -90
Originally Posted by 99bmw740il
do you have any idea about anything you just said. the s class is certainly good looking and im sure its very stable at high speed. but it does not handle remotly sporty, i pushed the s500 i had to the limits and it took a lot to control it, this was the lorinser edition with fenders, rims, exhaust

you make a lot of general statements but dont back up anything with numbers, etc.

when you compare values you forgot the msrp of the s500 was $15~$20k more expensive when new then the iL, so apples to oranges

Numbers often tell very little.. often taken to serious, they are not even good at reflecting the reality.
But what numbers do you wanna know??

I'm not familiar with the US prices but the pricedifference was not at all that big in Europe. F.x. between a 740iL -93 (E32) compared to a S420 L -93 (w140) there was a price difference of about $5000.

The S-class is not a sportscar by any means. I never said that. It's not intended to be either. When I buy such a car I don't want a sports car.. I don't want it to behave like a sportscar cause that will compromise other qualities that I REALLY want, that is the real cause that makes me wanna buy such a car. For me, the pleasure of driving such big cars comes from other qualities than sportines.
And if I really WANT a sportscar.. then I don't go after a big car at all, because it can never be a real sportscar, not without destroying it's other qualities. And then there is no real reason left to buy that car.

So the S500 is not a sports car. I don't disagree on that.

It really thought comes down to what one wants. I'm not saying that a 740 is a bad car. It is a great car. One of the best. But for ME the Merc has the qualities I'm looking for. For other people.. the 740 has the qualities THEY are looking for. Still both are great cars.

The reason to why the 500 is the better car for me is that it, for me, fullfills ALL qulities that a big luxory cruiser should have, to 100%. But it misses out on the sportiness. That, just to say something, satisfies me just to 50%, all in all with engineperformance and stuff. For me, all my needs is then fullfilled EXCEPT the need of sportiness, that can show up once in a while. But I would rather then buy a SECOND car that fullfills that quality to 100% without being a luxorycar at all.
By this I can fullfill ALL needs all the way to 100%. I'm then 100% happy

The same with a 740 would for me be.. say.. 80% satisfaction will all needs except the sportiness.. and maybe 70% satisfaction with sportiness. Put together that's a damn fine achievment but won't make ME 100% satisfied on any of the points, unlike the Merc.

Other people though prefer this combination in order to fullfill as MANY of their needs in one car as MUCH as possible.

So it comes down to what one wants. All have different tastes and needs.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:24 PM
Banned

1995 w140 s500
7 can not beat a s500 0-60 and 1/4 mile. I have raced 2 bmw's now with the same result every time.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230 kompressor
I have driven a 97 740i and i must say i still want one real bad....As far as the looks and quality it is = in my opinion

oh and for the record the e38 7 is mid. size and the w140 is full size
Old 09-01-2004, 11:32 PM

2006 Mercedes E350 Sport
Originally Posted by s0vietbenz
7 can not beat a s500 0-60 and 1/4 mile. I have raced 2 bmw's now with the same result every time.

you must have a special engine then because i just beat an 02' s500 a week ago...0-60

as far as the size you said-mid? s500,a8,740, ls430 are all in the same catagory
Old 09-02-2004, 12:33 AM

Cool

Wow, this debate still goes on?? Anyways, the 740i/iL w/4.4L V8 should be about equal in acceleration as W140 S500... It's the older, 4.0L 740i/iL that's slower....

As for fit/finish, I agree that both are about equal but W140 has the very tradition MB look to it, and it's a love/hate situation.... Personally, I love it(and it's rare for younger ppl I am sure), but I wouldn't mind 7-Series interior either.

Also, even though I have an W140, I gotta hand it to BMW for their wonderful front seat.... I sat and drove in an 1998 w/16-way power front seats few years ago, and I was SOLD!!! W140 seats are comfortable, but those 16-way adjustable in 7-Series simply blew me away.... They are so comfortable!!!

Anyways, how's 7-Series holding up?? I have had a few BMWs before, they are all very well build, except one thing: They tend to have weak LCD display.... A few pixels would burn out/disappear.... Is it still an concern with newer BMW???

P.S. Oh, one more thing, stock-to-stock, 7-Series will out handle W140 no doubt..... But from my experience, W140 is a superior HWY cruiser.....
Old 09-02-2004, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230 kompressor
Originally Posted by AKRY
Wow, this debate still goes on?? Anyways, the 740i/iL w/4.4L V8 should be about equal in acceleration as W140 S500... It's the older, 4.0L 740i/iL that's slower....

As for fit/finish, I agree that both are about equal but W140 has the very tradition MB look to it, and it's a love/hate situation.... Personally, I love it(and it's rare for younger ppl I am sure), but I wouldn't mind 7-Series interior either.

Also, even though I have an W140, I gotta hand it to BMW for their wonderful front seat.... I sat and drove in an 1998 w/16-way power front seats few years ago, and I was SOLD!!! W140 seats are comfortable, but those 16-way adjustable in 7-Series simply blew me away.... They are so comfortable!!!

Anyways, how's 7-Series holding up?? I have had a few BMWs before, they are all very well build, except one thing: They tend to have weak LCD display.... A few pixels would burn out/disappear.... Is it still an concern with newer BMW???

P.S. Oh, one more thing, stock-to-stock, 7-Series will out handle W140 no doubt..... But from my experience, W140 is a superior HWY cruiser.....
Yes the LCD's are still a prob for bmw
Old 09-02-2004, 01:22 AM
Banned

1995 w140 s500
I beat the 745iL at a car meet with about 100 people watching.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:38 PM

a Few Nice cars.
Talking

My Uncle has a 01 740 and i have a 94 s500 both cars are really cool his has the Nav system I hope to bu the Pioneer AVIC-N1 system soon to replace my Head Unit. so I too will have nav,we both run down the freeway here in Dallas over 100mph and the 740 DOES have a more peppy take off then the S500 however the Benz beat the Bimmer in the top end level where Mercedes made there name if i want 0-60 then i would buy a Lambo and i hope to afford one in the next few years!however the 0-60 thing means nothing unless that as fast as you drive,but to which one is better? its a IMO thing to me its the Ben zi have been a Benz freak my whole life and thats just me i dont have a s500 for racing..its 4800lbs!!!! come on any1 who buys a W140 FOR RACING SHOULD GET THERE HEADS EXAMED there family rides.enjoy them there special! so stop the BMW vs. Benz were ALL German car lovers...FAMILY!! Lets all meet up and go after Infiniti and Lexus..(Diffently Lexus)
till the next episode-Benzkid
__________________________________________________ ______
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Buick Riviera Supercharged (customizing)
1994 Mercedes-Benz S500
Old 09-03-2004, 01:13 AM

2006 Mercedes E350 Sport
Originally Posted by BenzKid24
My Uncle has a 01 740 and i have a 94 s500 both cars are really cool his has the Nav system I hope to bu the Pioneer AVIC-N1 system soon to replace my Head Unit. so I too will have nav,we both run down the freeway here in Dallas over 100mph and the 740 DOES have a more peppy take off then the S500 however the Benz beat the Bimmer in the top end level where Mercedes made there name if i want 0-60 then i would buy a Lambo and i hope to afford one in the next few years!however the 0-60 thing means nothing unless that as fast as you drive,but to which one is better? its a IMO thing to me its the Ben zi have been a Benz freak my whole life and thats just me i dont have a s500 for racing..its 4800lbs!!!! come on any1 who buys a W140 FOR RACING SHOULD GET THERE HEADS EXAMED there family rides.enjoy them there special! so stop the BMW vs. Benz were ALL German car lovers...FAMILY!! Lets all meet up and go after Infiniti and Lexus..(Diffently Lexus)
till the next episode-Benzkid
__________________________________________________ ______
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Buick Riviera Supercharged (customizing)
1994 Mercedes-Benz S500

my car isnt sooper comfy on the streets because my suspension is mod. Its as stiff as a 330 sport or c32. It isnt the lcd thats a problems its burnt out pixels in the radio (without nav) and underneath the cluster... they are being replaced free even out of warranty thanks to a 740 board member. I drool everytime i see my neighbors 600SEL on 20" mae's all black
Old 09-14-2004, 11:38 AM

1992 3OOSE
Rap Stars Opinion

"The allure of breakin the law
Is always too much for me to ever ignore
I gotta thing for them big body Benzes, it dulls my senses
In love with a V-Dub engine"

"I never felt so alive
then riding shotgun in Cline's green Five"

Artist:Jay-Z
Song: Allure
Album: The Black Album (2003)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>

"He patterns hisself the rap J.F.K., so if you wanna pass for my Jaqueline
Onassis
Then, hop ya *** out that S-class
Lay back in that Maybach, roll the best grass"

Artist: Jay-Z
Song:Excuse Me Miss Again Remix
Album:Blueprint 2.1

"What yall about to witness is Big Busines kid
Rims and Kits on those BIG BENZ's kid"

Artisit:Jay-Z
song: La Familia
Album:Unreleased

[B]Sorry couldnt find any rap quotes about the 740i, just not that popular in the streets .....The 2002-2003 745i (hood name:quarter -to- eight) Is HEAT!!!! , but the 740i...........yawnnnnnnnn! Thats not the car to get the eye in. I get tons of compliments and praises for my BIGBODY, and its 12 years old.......nobody is checking for a 12 year old BMW. I was going to get a 1995 740I but the damn thing looked so much like a prep mobile, the shape is not that impressive, the only thing it has going is the shades, and handling. I choose the W140 because of its size, classic lines, plush seating, power features, BIG GRILL etc..... If i wanted a BIG sportscar that zipped around corners and all that jazz id get a trans-am GTO.....knock it off the S- means superb class

Last edited by bigbodyw140; 09-14-2004 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:04 AM

2006 Mercedes E350 Sport
Originally Posted by bigbodyw140
"The allure of breakin the law
Is always too much for me to ever ignore
I gotta thing for them big body Benzes, it dulls my senses
In love with a V-Dub engine"

"I never felt so alive
then riding shotgun in Cline's green Five"

Artist:Jay-Z
Song: Allure
Album: The Black Album (2003)

"He patterns hisself the rap J.F.K., so if you wanna pass for my Jaqueline
Onassis
Then, hop ya *** out that S-class
Lay back in that Maybach, roll the best grass"

Artist: Jay-Z
Song:Excuse Me Miss Again Remix
Album:Blueprint 2.1

"What yall about to witness is Big Busines kid
Rims and Kits on those BIG BENZ's kid"

Artisit:Jay-Z
song: La Familia
Album:Unreleased

[B]Sorry couldnt find any rap quotes about the 740i, just not that popular in the streets .....The 2002-2003 745i (hood name:quarter -to- eight) Is HEAT!!!! , but the 740i...........yawnnnnnnnn! Thats not the car to get the eye in. I get tons of compliments and praises for my BIGBODY, and its 12 years old.......nobody is checking for a 12 year old BMW. I was going to get a 1995 740I but the damn thing looked so much like a prep mobile, the shape is not that impressive, the only thing it has going is the shades, and handling. I choose the W140 because of its size, classic lines, plush seating, power features, BIG GRILL etc..... If i wanted a BIG sportscar that zipped around corners and all that jazz id get a trans-am GTO.....knock it off the S- means superb class

...go look up the value on your car. ill show you the receipt for my bed sheets i just bought that will be bigger then your blue book price. the fact you even mention such american trash as a trans am solidifys your image as a WANNA-BE-BALLA. anyways im paying my car off next month and am getting 03' cl55 or cl600, when you can afford that then come talk to me
Old 10-17-2004, 10:29 AM

1995 S420
This post is like a bad ex-girfriend, refuses to go away.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:02 PM

This is a question about size versus agility

First there is nothing in this world that can take the place of Size, Presence, and Solidarity and Style.

Yet, it is so hard to discount the similarly priced sedan from its chief competitor. Its been described as "Quite Possibly the finest sedan in existence". But its not as wide as the w140 nor does it have that presence.

One makes you feel like a king , the other makes you feel like a teenager again . .