S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

97 s500 repair help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S420
97 s500 repair help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HELLO ALL , I NEED SOME ADVISE, I PURCHASED A 1997 S500 BLK /BLK VERY NICE BUT HAS SOME MINOR STUFF THAT I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO FIX OR WHATS THE CAUSE.

PROBLEM1
WHEN I TURN THE HEATER ON, THE CENTER VENTS DONT BLOW AIR, I HAVE TO CRANK THE FAN SPEED ALL THE WAY UP TO GET SOME AIR, BUT WHEN I SWITCH TO A/C THE CENTER VENTS WORK JUST FINE, ALSO THERE ARE 2 BUTTONS ON THE CENTER VENT BLUE AND RED , THEY DONT LIGHT UP AT ALL ANY REASON WHY? , MY HEATER DOES WORK CAUSE I FEEL THE HEAT COMING OUT FROM THE SIDE VENTS AND WINDSHIELD.

PROBLEM2
WHEN I START THE VEHICLE IT MAKES THIS LOUD NOISE LIKE SOMETHING IS GRINDING OR WHEN YOU HOLD THE KEY LONG WHAT NOISE WOULD THE STARTER MAKE KIND OF LIKE THAT .ONLY FOR A SEC THEN RUNS JUST FINE. IS IT THE STARTER THAT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED?

PROBLEM3
THE REAR END BOUNCES ALOT THIS VEHICLE DOESNT HAVE THE SELF LEVELING SUSPENSION BUT BOUNCES ALOT IN THE REAR , SHOULD I REPLACE THE SHOCKS? AND IMVERY LOW ON HYD FLUID, IS THAT THE PROBLEM? WHAT KIND OF HYD FLUID SHOULD I USE TO REFILL, WHAT STEPS SHOULD I TAKE?

AND I HOW CAN I REMOVE THE CENTER WOOD TRIM BY THE SHIFTER?

ANY INFO WILL BE VERY APPRECIATED
Old 12-09-2010, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1995 s500
Smile

problem#1 on your center vent u have two buttons , one red and one blue, if you want heat to come threw the center vents u need to push in the red button after you turn on your climate control unit.. and when turn your a.c. on and u dont want air to come thur the center vents just push the blue button to turn off the vent. and it would blow out ever where except for the center vent. problem#2 about the grinding when you turn the key , u are holding key to long it just needs to be held untill the car starts up and then let go because of the grinding nosie is when you are holding the key in that position to long after the starter has cranked the car, the starter is grinding and u will runied your starter that whey just make sure to let go after the starter has cranked the car. problem#3 about your shocks it could be the fuild or the shocks on your car on the drivers side is where the hdy fuild goes in , the hdy would be got at a mercedes dealership or internet.. on your car u do have leveling suspension because if u didnt you would not have hdy fuild that the only reason the car take hdy fluid is for the rear shocks to work... and about your center console removed go to benzworld .org and sign up to be a member and to the w140 section and they have pictures on how to take it off peace by peace. and more knowedge then on this site...