S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

Car starts but shuts off after a few seconds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S300 Turbodiesel (W140) -97
Car starts but shuts off after a few seconds

Hello!

I have a strange problem with my w140.
It's a S300 turbodiesel with the om606 engine.

I recently replaced the engine because some valves had gone bad on the old engines head. (Couldn't find a spare head so i had to replace the entire engine..)

However, after the was installed, the car started and ran just fine.
But I only got to drive about 13km (8 miles) before the car suddenly shut off while I was driving.

I was able to start it again but it just shut off itself after a few seconds..
My first thought was that maybe the fuel gauge was lying, and that I had ran out of diesel.

Well, I had the car towed home and it turned out that there was 1/4 tank of diesel in the tank so that was not causing the problem.

Now, I have had the fuel system checked by a mechanic, and nothing seems wrong with it.

It feels like i have tried everything, but the car still shuts off after a few seconds.

Some people are telling me that the immobilizer could be the problem.

I don't know if this problem is related to the engine switch or not,
but do you know if you have to recode the immobilizer or the key or something like that after swithching the engine in a w140?

Any hints and idéas about what could be wrong with my car are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

(I have recorded a startup of the car and uploaded it to youtube, if you wanna se and hear the problem for yourself..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMwYD18BOlo )
Old 10-01-2011, 01:36 AM

1997 S320 LWB
MAF?

I had a similar problem with my s320 last winter right after i got my brand new winter tires installed at the tire shop, it just kept shutting off right after it was turned on almost identical to the your video. I got it towed to my mechanic and long story short it was diagnosed to have a weak/faulty MAF. Replaced the MAF with a oem made in Germany unit and it worked flawlessly! All the best
Old 10-23-2011, 01:13 PM

94 S350 199,325 miles
I am having the exact same symptoms with my 94 350 diesel. I had written the car off a few months ago after discovering the problems with the rods on the 3.5 and was going to take my time getting back to really working on the car.

I tend to be slow at times and when I woke up this morning, it dawned on me this car has 199K miles and if there was a rod issue it would have reared it's ugly head by now. It does have oil consumption I would consider a little high, a quart and half to 2 quarts every 1K miles. However, the car was running fine, maybe a slight loss and mild hesitation dragging itself up hills in the Texas Hill country, but it was running well until I was driving home one day and it just died. I was able to restart it and drive it home, but later that night I was going to run to the store and it started exhibiting the exact scenario in your video.

Sorry, got off track there a bit giving history, back to my statement where it dawned on me that this has to be something other than the rod issue. After all a diesel is fuel, air, and compression. So right now I'm leaning towards a possible fuel issue which would explain the start and die scenario. One question I have is do you notice an odd smell while cranking or after it dies? I can only relate this smell to that we had on military diesel equipment when the emergency shutdown was used and flap with an thick fiber seal was used. I can't think of anything else that smells the same.

Anyway I'm still thinking a fuel issue right now, but will definitely share what I find in hopes we can both learn from it.

Cheers~
Pete

Last edited by devildog; 10-23-2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: bad sentence