S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

w140 Rear Crank Position Sensor / RnR nightmare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1982 300SD
w140 Rear Crank Position Sensor / RnR nightmare

I accidentally posted this originally in the ML forum. I have a friend with a bad rear CPS in his 1994 S500. We had it scanned it showed no signal from so we condemed that part. Ordered one, look at the various forum posts and youtube videos.

THOUGHT (key word there) that it would be no problem. Boy was I wrong.

The bolt came out ok but the sensor would NOT budge...I sprayed it w WD40 and got it to rotate. No vertical motion.

I tried to retreat. The car would not start. Called someone who would know (technical adviser on another prominent forum) ...he said " now that you've disturbed it it will not work at all, you have no choice but to removed it...with pick tools and such, or a mini slide hammer...but start breaking it up and getting it out of the bore.

So I went at that...got half of it broken up and out, the cylinderical magnet from the center is out and I have now the plastic stuck down in the bell housing...im feeling a bit screwed here, I REALLY dont want to drop the trans.

Suggestions have been....threading a wood screw into it and using an adjustable wrench as a puller. Squirting and letting soak a half and half of tranny fluid and acetone, then threading in a slide hammer...

Seems pullers are my only option at this point if I cant fish out the rest of the sensor with a pick tool. I was at it till 1:30 am and had to put it down.

I'm going to try again now...if anyone has suggestions please post them.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
94 S420,95 S500 ,96 S500
Originally Posted by SpecialDelivery
I accidentally posted this originally in the ML forum. I have a friend with a bad rear CPS in his 1994 S500. We had it scanned it showed no signal from so we condemed that part. Ordered one, look at the various forum posts and youtube videos.

THOUGHT (key word there) that it would be no problem. Boy was I wrong.

The bolt came out ok but the sensor would NOT budge...I sprayed it w WD40 and got it to rotate. No vertical motion.

I tried to retreat. The car would not start. Called someone who would know (technical adviser on another prominent forum) ...he said " now that you've disturbed it it will not work at all, you have no choice but to removed it...with pick tools and such, or a mini slide hammer...but start breaking it up and getting it out of the bore.

So I went at that...got half of it broken up and out, the cylinderical magnet from the center is out and I have now the plastic stuck down in the bell housing...im feeling a bit screwed here, I REALLY dont want to drop the trans.

Suggestions have been....threading a wood screw into it and using an adjustable wrench as a puller. Squirting and letting soak a half and half of tranny fluid and acetone, then threading in a slide hammer...

Seems pullers are my only option at this point if I cant fish out the rest of the sensor with a pick tool. I was at it till 1:30 am and had to put it down.

I'm going to try again now...if anyone has suggestions please post them.
Did you get it out?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1982 300SD
part out value? time to sell major components?

As of today half the sleeve is still in the bell housing and i'm having trouble getting it out. The owner of the car is buying another one today (an Acura, bleh)

We're considering parting this thing out...if I pull the engine and trans, how long would they take to sell and what would we get for them is the question.

what about the glass? most of the interior parts are still good and theres alot of electronics, the dash a bunch of stuff I'm sure I could sell.

Just trying to get a grip on about what to expect as far as time and aprox part out value.