S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

Mosselman twin turbo kits, good??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 05:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Mosselman twin turbo kits, good??

Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting a Mossel man twin turbo kit for my W140 S320. has anyone had any experience with them? if so how was your turbo/SC kit? are they low or high quality? It seems like turbo kit might be easier than v8/v12 transplant and its much better gas mileage too.

Does anyone know how much it costs for S320? Thanks for your help. any input about their products is appreciated.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S320 & 540-6sp
my 97' s320 running smooth on the hwy, never have any intention to make it go faster but i'm just wondering, has anyone mod. their S320...!! if there's supercharge or turbo kits for s320 i will love to see how it turns out after the modification.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am currently developing a cold air intake kit, I will also do exhaust and straight pipes most probably. Its hard to get alot more power out of stock motor, at most 30-40HP at the crank.

The mosselman turbo kit for the S320 increases HP from 230, to 320 and will improve acceleration vastly. 0-60 will drop from 8.9-9.0 to about 6.3-6.5. That is for the turbo system alone, not including exhaust and other mods that can be performed. another benefit is you don't have to drop in a much heaver motor (v8/v12).
Old 08-09-2003, 08:56 PM
Almost a Member!

1998 Mercedes benz S-420 supercharged with high boost pulley and exhaust system and many more
Im sorry i don't know anything about the v-6 turbo kits if it performs that well u should do it make sure to get boost controller and all that stuff though it will help even more.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

they don't recommmend going higher than 6-7psi, which is what mosselman runs at. others have gone higher but resulted in catastrophic disaster. hope that helps
Old 08-29-2003, 06:34 PM
Almost a Member!

1991 Acura Legend sedan
This is good info, can i have alink to this Mosselman company.

how much is this kit and like asked before, has anyone installed a kit for testing?

Hey blown, generalize much , i love my Honda powered sedan.

Last edited by Klasse Ac'; 08-29-2003 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2003, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
Is there any room for their turbo system in the S500 engine bay? and what kind of increase I would be getting if there is? Right now is 315 hp. But it's a heavy beast.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

that would be custom setup b/c no body makes turbo kit for S500 but if someone did that would be amazing b/c 500hp would be easily acheivable. anyways hope that helps. ttyl
Old 09-02-2003, 05:08 PM

2006 Mercedes E350 Sport
Is this a joke? tt on a w140
Old 09-03-2003, 01:00 AM

95 S 500 Coupe
Uhh, no actually you're the joke. GET LOST !!!
Old 09-03-2003, 04:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i just tranfered back to benz after a few year with bmw, bmw build quality just sucks flat out, its that simple. benz rocks.

Yes TT benz.
Old 09-06-2003, 02:56 AM

94 Wagon, 13 ML63
Originally posted by s500c
Uhh, no actually you're the joke. GET LOST !!!
Dude, wtf, calm down. You own a BMW too, and so did I. Whats your problem? He is obviously a fan of the w140 otherwise he wouldn't be posting non anti-benz comments. I mean really, I understand your thoughts about his comment, but think of it this way. The new S class with the S55 and S600 both have forced induction, and that would be no different than the previous model (w140) having it, so maybe he just didn't see it like that. I understand the thought of a forced inducted land yacht may be kinda odd, but its not that foreign.

Omey, I come from a family that has owned bimmers in the double digit range, and they have always been reliable, fun, tough, and all around great cars. We've had every series but the 8, with just about every engine offered. If you had a 1988/9 750il, then I can see your frustration .
I do 100% agree with TT-ing a w140 though, that would be excellent, and yes, you could break the 500hp mark easy, on .5 bar. One day... Oh yes
Old 09-06-2003, 10:05 AM

95 S 500 Coupe
Okay Dual 5Ls, I see the point that your making. Yes I do own my second bimmer and they are nice cars no doubt ! But you should check out this guys history. He has a bad habbit of coming to this ALL BENZ forum and talking down to us and making awful comments to people who love their Benzes. WHAT THE HELL FOR !! He should go somewhere else with that B.S. But you are right, I should calm down and not stoop to this guys level. I am deeply sorry if I have misrepresented you or any other Benz-lover or forum member. Now what do we do about him ?
Old 09-06-2003, 10:17 PM

94 Wagon, 13 ML63
Well no hard feelings, I'm impressed by your response, I did jump on you for that...
Maybe I just haven't seen any anti-MB comments hes made, but if so, then you are in fact right and the haters shouldn't post, because we don't want to hear it.

99BMW, what are your thoughts on the w140? Do you own or plan to own one soon? If no to both, why do you post on a w140 list? Haha, we don't exactly have kill stories about 7 series bimmers . Just want to see if I was missing something and to get this all settled once and for all.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i owned E30 325is and E36 M3 and neither were reliable at all. maybe i just got unlucky but all my experiences and many of my friends has not beed good. but benz runs in my blood, we've had about 7 benz over the years and they rarely have as many problems as bimmers

About the Twin Turbo idea. The reason i like it so much is it weighs ALOT less than dropping a V8 or V12 into my W140. Also i have the Short wheel base W140 so its even lighter than a regular W140, so with the turbo kit I will have similar power to weight ratio between a S500 and S600 with only a 6 banger. Not to mention it can be taken out in just one day.

anyways, as far as modding I think I will just to Remus universal exhaust and my own Custom cold/ram air intake kit and maybe chip just for now, as well as lighten the car a bit, just to get a good 10-20 more HP and lighter weight to make the car alot more lively. I may do software but people always say you sacrifice drivability and I hate doing that.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:52 AM

94 Wagon, 13 ML63
Originally posted by OmeyHomey
we've had about 7 benz over the years and they rarely have as many problems as bimmers

...lighten the car a bit...

...people always say you sacrifice drivability [with a chip] and I hate doing that.
Odd, its usually the other way around from my experience. Every MB we've owned has had problems, and every MB my friend gets has a few glitches. Funny how you had problems with the e30. We've had probably 5 of those, and every one but the Callaway Turbo 320 was awesome. Callaway reallly makes a sh**ty conversion. Never seen one of their cars last, or were engineered right. They made a turbo 928. Bet you didn't know that. Thats because they blew them all up...

How are you going to lighten a luxury car? Haha, you're not putting race seats in it are you :p A great idea would be to ditch that mechanical fan for an electric one. That would free up a lot of the engine load and rotating mass.

How would you lose drivability with a chip? A chip usually gains in driveability from enhanced throttle response, better burn, and improved gas mileage. Go ahead with the chip I say, especially if you're doing a turbo setup. You're going to NEED it at that point.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Dual 5Ls
Odd, its usually the other way around from my experience. Every MB we've owned has had problems, and every MB my friend gets has a few glitches. Funny how you had problems with the e30. We've had probably 5 of those,

How are you going to lighten a luxury car? Haha, you're not putting race seats in it are you :p A great idea would be to ditch that mechanical fan for an electric one. That would free up a lot of the engine load and rotating mass.

How would you lose drivability with a chip? A chip usually gains in driveability from enhanced throttle response, better burn, and improved gas mileage. Go ahead with the chip I say, especially if you're doing a turbo setup. You're going to NEED it at that point.

thats weird, our benz are bullet proof pretty much. the little things on benz never go wrong, where as all these little nit picky things go wrong on bmws.

NO i will not put in racing seats hehe. even though that would help ALOT. I will take out spare tire, jack, and get aftermarket exhaust, stock exhaust must weigh a ton, also I may contemplate taking out the resonator since that looks like its really heavy as well, should be good for a few more HP as well. however I want to do it in steps, so i will switch exhausts first, then if i like sound or if i need more sound i can always take out the resonator later. I may get exhaust headers if i can find someone to make a set for my car as well. I want to keep interior in tact as much as possible so there isn't much weight i can really take out, I will probably just take out as much from the trunk as I can.

The mechanical fan idea is a great idea and I would really like to do that. I did it on my E36 M3 and the results were amazing. on paper 8-12 HP didn't seem like much but in real life for some reason the fan mod helped so much, its like 8-12HP all across the power band. do you know any good electric fans and how do to that?

Well mosselman turbo kit comes with chip of course so i know that. I have found a few companies that sell benz chips for my car for only $250 and at that price thats very good. I can't ask for much more. I think I will go with the chip as well, the only thing i don't like is that I have to send my ECU in, thats really annoying. On OBD1 BMW's it seems so much easier, all you do is pop out old one and put new one in. Do any Benz performance companies do that?

thanks for help again
Old 09-07-2003, 09:48 PM

94 Wagon, 13 ML63
Hey Homey,
I dont know of any companies that do that. I know with mine I can just buy a remapped PROM and put that in myself. Soldering may be required, but thats no big deal.

For a fan, just get a perma-cool 16" kit from Jegs.com or similar place. They come with their own thermostat and full instructions. Really easy. Be sure to take pictures and let us know how you like it. I'd personally do that first. Its on my to-do list as well. You know you can get cams for your car too...
Old 09-08-2003, 04:39 PM

2006 Mercedes E350 Sport

99BMW, what are your thoughts on the w140? Do you own or plan to own one soon? If no to both, why do you post on a w140 list? Haha, we don't exactly have kill stories about 7 series bimmers . Just want to see if I was missing something and to get this all settled once and for all.
I was looking at them when purchasing the 7er but ran away when i read about the $3000 a/c problem and the other little- very expensive things that go wrong with the w140. I do like them and believe them to be an icon of german enginerring along with the 7er. On a side note, my friend tried racing a w140 s600 in his mustang and get his *** handed to him by the benz Also my moms car just got totalled and we're now looking at benz's for her, mainly the e class though.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:05 PM

1997 S600 - Bentley Turbo R (black/black)
s class versus 7er

I just read someone mentioning that all he had is problems with bmws.....and that the air conditioning to fix is $3000..

I am a car broker..i have been doing it for 15 years, you name a car, and i have driven it or owned it..

Mercedes can be expensive to fix the airconditioning as well.....infact i just paid almost a $1200...to get some rear self leveling struts for my 97 s500..(dealer wanted $2500)...

some bmw models and mercedes model for that matter..certain years had more problems then others.....for example : 92-93 s classes had more problems then 97-98 s classes....similairly.. 95-96 7 series bmw...had more problems then 99-2000.....

Having said that...it really comes down to what you prefer in the total car package....

i just sold my 99 740 and bought a 97 s500...nothing had to do with mechanical or anything like that.....i love the way the 7 series handles and performance...drives like a sports car...love the interior electronics and gadgets.......on the other hand i purchased the s500 for its powerful attribute and how massive it is...

The s class and 7 series are one the best luxurious best looking luxury sedans on the market..... s class is my first choice...7er my second ( thats my perferrence...cuz i like massive powerful look and perfomance)....

The perfect luxury car for me would be the perfomance handling and technological gadgetry of the 7 series...with the powerfulness and solidness of the s class.....

my 2 cents...

ghost
Old 09-08-2003, 09:03 PM

94 Wagon, 13 ML63
Re: s class versus 7er

Originally posted by ghost
The perfect luxury car for me would be the perfomance handling and technological gadgetry of the 7 series...with the powerfulness and solidness of the s class.....
Or a Bentley Turbo R
Old 09-08-2003, 09:28 PM
Almost a Member!

1991 Acura Legend sedan
Re: Re: s class versus 7er

Or a Bentley Turbo R
Basically, basically
Old 09-09-2003, 05:53 PM

2006 Mercedes E350 Sport
Re: s class versus 7er

Originally posted by ghost
I just read someone mentioning that all he had is problems with bmws.....and that the air conditioning to fix is $3000..

I am a car broker..i have been doing it for 15 years, you name a car, and i have driven it or owned it..

Mercedes can be expensive to fix the airconditioning as well.....infact i just paid almost a $1200...to get some rear self leveling struts for my 97 s500..(dealer wanted $2500)...

some bmw models and mercedes model for that matter..certain years had more problems then others.....for example : 92-93 s classes had more problems then 97-98 s classes....similairly.. 95-96 7 series bmw...had more problems then 99-2000.....

Having said that...it really comes down to what you prefer in the total car package....

i just sold my 99 740 and bought a 97 s500...nothing had to do with mechanical or anything like that.....i love the way the 7 series handles and performance...drives like a sports car...love the interior electronics and gadgets.......on the other hand i purchased the s500 for its powerful attribute and how massive it is...

The s class and 7 series are one the best luxurious best looking luxury sedans on the market..... s class is my first choice...7er my second ( thats my perferrence...cuz i like massive powerful look and perfomance)....

my 2 cents...

ghost

Old 09-09-2003, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

all companies for Bmw OBD1 cars use plug and play chips. soldering is not hard, but i dont think companies would be willing to just send out their chips alone. I may consider than 16" perma-cool fan kit from jegs.com , how much does it cost?

I will be doing alot of stuff in the future, like Intake, chip, exhaust, and fan delete mod. I will take before and after pics, and I will of course to baseline dyno's and etc.

They make cams for the W140 6cyl???? really ?? who makes it. The only thing im worried about is that if the cams are installed wrong it can be catastrophic. its very hard to time cams correctly.
thanks for help

Hey Homey,
I dont know of any companies that do that. I know with mine I can just buy a remapped PROM and put that in myself. Soldering may be required, but thats no big deal.

For a fan, just get a perma-cool 16" kit from Jegs.com or similar place. They come with their own thermostat and full instructions. Really easy. Be sure to take pictures and let us know how you like it. I'd personally do that first. Its on my to-do list as well. You know you can get cams for your car too...
Old 09-09-2003, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
Originally posted by AudiRyder
If anybody's looking for S500 modifications (especially turbo systems), Check out BoykinRacing.us, where everything is made custom spec.
Really? Have you done any S500 before? What kind of gain would the engine get and cost?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mosselman twin turbo kits, good??