S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

'95 S600 ADS Suspension Too Harsh - P l e a s e . A d v i s e ....................

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 S600, '77 300D
'95 S600 ADS Suspension Too Harsh - P l e a s e . A d v i s e ....................

greetings!

my car: 1995 S600 sedan, 125k miles. excellent condition.

my problem: i need advice troubleshooting the ADS (adaptive Dampening System.). ride/suspension, esp rear wheels, seems way too harsh even on moderate road irregularities.

history: i purchased the car about 1.5 yrs ago knowing there was something wrong with the suspension from the way the car handled. at the time i knew nothing about ADS. after familiarizing myself with the operation, functions and components of ADS i started troubleshooting the system about 2 months ago. i discovered the ADS ECU module chassis edge connector had been pushed down, therefore proper electrical contact was not being made between the ADS module and ECU chassis edge connector, thereby preventing power/grounds/signals to the ADS components. reading the DTC error codes i also discovered and replaced 2 faulty accelerometers. all ADS error codes are now cleared except for 017 which is for the Steering Angle Sensor. presently looking for a reasonably priced replacement. i also replaced/bled the ADS hydraulic fluid.

with all of the above defects mentioned above it appears the ADS system must have been inop for several years. although the ADS instr panel caution light is ON now, all of the ADS components appear to be working, except Steering Angle Sensor: rear struts are hydraulically actuated - rear end is lifted, no hydro fluid leaks, etc. there seems to be normal suspension response (bounce) when pushing down on rear of car. "comfort/Firm" switch appears to function properly.

so, where do i go from here? since i have never driven a benz with ADS i have nothing to compare or judge performance for this type of suspension.

thoughts, ideas, probable causes:
1. rear struts: how do you know when these need replacing, when they start leaking or more obvious hard failure?

2. accumulators: how do you know when these need replacing, when they start leaking or more obvious hard failure?

3. rear springs: how do you know when these need replacing?

4. tires: running Michelin Primacy MXV4 235/60/R16 (same size as stated in owners manual).

i was thinking that if ADS had been defective, deenergized for several years, the rear springs may have worn out.

oh, a side note: the 2 Mass Air Flow Sensor cables were burnt to hell, wire insulation crumbled to dust. i replaced all of these wires running to the ECU module edge connectors. also replaced fried Fuel Injection wiring harness. i'll post pics up here shortly in a sep post. yah, that was a "4 bowls up" adventure, hypothetically speaking of course

thank you for your input!
Old 11-16-2013, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S600
did u find ans to all ur questions? if so pls share with me.