S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

95 s420 Camshaft unusual wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 S420
95 s420 Camshaft unusual wear

Hi, first post. A little history first. Inherited this car from my Dad a few months ago. It a 95 s420 with 162K. I had been experiencing the overheating issue where the gauge was going up to the line just before the 120 mark into the red. I installed the resistor to trick the computer into turning on the fans earlier. This brought the temp down to may 110 give or take on a hot day in traffic. Lately I have been having a problem with the oil gauge reading zero on really hot days at a stop. As soon as I accelerate the pressure jumps up to just above 2. I've read this is most likely the wire harness or pressure sending unit. I will say this motor has had a tick for years now on the top passenger side of the motor. Sounds like a noisy lifter to me. So, I haven't been the concerned with it. My dad just left it this way. Yesterday I got the oil level light for maybe 10 second while on the freeway doing about 40mph, then it went out and hasn't returned. I promptly checked the oil level and it was at about half a quart low. So, I then bought some oil and topped her off. However, when I was adding the oil I noticed some wear on the cam shaft that doesn't look normal to me. I've worked on my own cars for many years, although I have very little internal engine experience. I added the pic maybe someone can give me an idea if I need to be thinking about a donor motor or new camshafts or what exactly my issue could be. Thanks in advance for your help. I'll be out and about today so I may not be able to respond for a while.
Attached Thumbnails 95 s420 Camshaft unusual wear-merc-shaft2.jpg  
Old 08-06-2014, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
s320
I believe the plastic cam oilers break in the V8s,most replace with ones made with aluminum.Try changing your oil sender,for a hot engine,thermostat.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C215 CL55 AMG, W124 500E, W210 E430, W124 300E
What you highlighted on the picture is normal. Its from the machining of those cheap factory-series cams or from the cassting process. Depends which of the two things in the circle you mean.

The other points i will add infos later.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w203
271 engine camshaft.

Originally Posted by gmorell1
Hi, first post. A little history first. Inherited this car from my Dad a few months ago. It a 95 s420 with 162K. I had been experiencing the overheating issue where the gauge was going up to the line just before the 120 mark into the red. I installed the resistor to trick the computer into turning on the fans earlier. This brought the temp down to may 110 give or take on a hot day in traffic. Lately I have been having a problem with the oil gauge reading zero on really hot days at a stop. As soon as I accelerate the pressure jumps up to just above 2. I've read this is most likely the wire harness or pressure sending unit. I will say this motor has had a tick for years now on the top passenger side of the motor. Sounds like a noisy lifter to me. So, I haven't been the concerned with it. My dad just left it this way. Yesterday I got the oil level light for maybe 10 second while on the freeway doing about 40mph, then it went out and hasn't returned. I promptly checked the oil level and it was at about half a quart low. So, I then bought some oil and topped her off. However, when I was adding the oil I noticed some wear on the cam shaft that doesn't look normal to me. I've worked on my own cars for many years, although I have very little internal engine experience. I added the pic maybe someone can give me an idea if I need to be thinking about a donor motor or new camshafts or what exactly my issue could be. Thanks in advance for your help. I'll be out and about today so I may not be able to respond for a while.
i have replaced the camshafts on my w203 271 engine and the noise grrrrrrrrrrrrr is still there.What could the problem be?.I opened the oil lid and look like teh oil pressure is low.Can it be the oil pump worn out?.