S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

'93 S500 Coupe Sound Upgrade help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW M3
'93 S500 Coupe Sound Upgrade help

Hi,

A friend of mine has just bought a '93 S500 coupe. I have been given the task of upgrading the sound system.

Is there any advice you can give me? I've not done a Merc before.

I was thinking of putting in some good quality speakers up front. Probably disconnect or remove the rear parcel shelf speakers and a couple of subs (10 or 12") mounted infinite baffle on an MDF reinforced parcel shelf. We're no looking for massive dB, good sound is what we're after.

I've seen references here to the stock amplifier. We have a Nakamichi head unit to go in, but it doesn't have any power amps of its own, is the Benz unit OK? The original plan was to go for a couple of Pheonix Gold amps.

Any help would be appreciated.

AB
Old 01-28-2004, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
92 500sel/01 320e wag
sound system

Here goes, the s500 had an 11 speaker system with seven channels of sound. There are two speakers in enclosures in the front doors, there are four speakers in the rear deck, I have been told they are two ohms wired in series each for bass. There are two speakers in the back doors, I dont know about the enclosure. There is a tweeter behind the rear view mirror. The front unit in the dash only controls the tuner in the trunk above the rear wheel, and the CD in the wheel well. the whole thing is powered by a custom seven channel "Bose" amp that sits further up on top of the wheel well. Balance is handled by the wheel on the console, and right to left is handled by the unit in the console.
I have heard of people changing out the system at great expense, and expertise. some running a complete set of wires, others adapting to the existing harness. there are two additional speakers in the dash, that were used in the "cellular telephone" option and had no function in the audio system.
The weakest link is the "Bose amp" which is prone to fail, due to electrolitics failing in the individual amps. Becker and some authorized facilies will repair these for $400 or less. I think the radio is tied into the alarm system, and there are no good wiring or comonent location diagrams other than MB data base which is available on a subscription basis.
This is not a typical install, the antenna comes thru a cellular splitter that goes to the tuner in the trunk! The door panes are a little tricky, mounting the amps could be a challange singe the gas tank sits upright behind the back seat. Have fun, this is not a project for the weak of heart, or inexperienced be prepared for problems.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW M3
Gulp

I'm glad it's not my car I'm being let loose on Thanks for the info.

I'll check out the car in some more detail this weekend.