S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

1992 500sel gauge issue and missfire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1964 220b and own about 23 other mbs
1992 500sel gauge issue and missfire

I got a 500sel not too long ago partially disassembled. the guy said the fan clutch was bad. reassembled it with a good one guess what? Not the issue. It would start and immediatly stall, i could get it to keep sputtering but no point. had no operable gauges either. the engine injector harness was original and total garbage. found a used one 2014 delphi build date. I installed it tonight and now it will idle but pretty rough. I cleaned the distributor caps and rotors with my dremel and a brass wire wheel but they are pretty pitted. it seems to clear out when you rev it up but its got some thing strange going on with the asr. when the engine is revved sometimes you can hear it change tone and in order to keep it running you have to give it a lot of throttle to the point where the mechanical throttle overtakes the asr actuator, then it will stall when released and the asr light is on on the dash. All of this time even with the new harness i have no gauges working(including speedo and tach) except temp, but there are no warning lights while its running and its illuminated perfectly. The majority or all of the warning lights work when first turning the key to on. i took it for a short spin down the road and i have a vacuum issue with the brakes for sure, they only feel right after the engine gets a pretty good rev. My friend had the thought that the brake booster could be leaking and causing a big vacuum leak and the terrible idle, but its still got other issues for sure. it seems to wake up and have most of its power over a certain rpm/ throttle position. ive checked all the fuses, it is charging fine, 14.3 Volts. gonna check the booster for leaks but im clueless on the gauge thing.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:58 AM

UPDATE. We tried adjusting the throttle cable to bring the idle up but all it did was trigger the ASR light and when that is on it won't stay running. When I pass my hand over the mass airflow sensor not sealing it or anything, it drastically changes idle. So I disconnected the plug on the MAF and the idle smoothed out. So I'm guessing the MAF is bad? I am also able to wiggle the MAF A little bit, that's not correct right? None of this is doing anything for the gauges(not that I expected it to). Anybody have any ideas?
Old 04-15-2017, 04:43 PM

Nothing?
ive found some codes with the homemade flash reader. One say vacuum assist leak, anyone know where this connection would be? The only hissing I can hear seems to be coming from inside the MAF/throttle body. It seems like something deep down in the intake or below it is leaking. It smoothed out a bit with starting fluid sprayed down past the throttle body around the lower intake with a red straw. Hard to say if it was just pulling vapor fumes from the MAF opening above though. I need to put a snorkel on it to know for sure before I tear it apart and risk damaging the ASR throttle body wireing which appears to be functioning properly.