S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

Mercedes 1999 Grand Edition.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 W140 S600, 2008 BMW M5, 2002 Infiniti G20 (Daily Driver), 2001 Chevy Tahoe
Mercedes 1999 Grand Edition.

Hello everyone. My name is John and I recently acquired this very rare special car with 168k on the clock last week via Craiglist SF. Overall the car conditions is great.

Lets start with the good part.
New tires.
Wheels are in great condition.
No dents
Paint is great.
Transmission was rebuilt. It came with some documentations.

Now for the bad.
The central locking system won't lock automatically.
Key fob won't unlock the door.
Trunk won't soft close
Missing the Grand Edition Carpets
Missing the Rear side sun shade.
The shifter is missing leather surround cover.
It has an after market stereo system (Alpine head unit with an amplifier and cross over)
The water heater valve is not working. It only blows cold air.
Tires needs rebalancing.
Worn down leather seats. (I spent about 2 hours cleaning those seats. It was dirty as hell).

Thats is all for now now. I will keep you guys posted as I go along. Any comments or advice helps. Anybody knows. Where I can get the actual Grand Edition floor mats and rear passenger sunshades?

Old 10-01-2017, 04:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1997 Mercedes S420
Three observations come to mind. 1. I would take the VIN number to a Mercedes Benz dealer and ask them to look it up and give you all of the specifications for the vehicle you have purchased. I am not convinced from what I see that you actually have a Grand Edition although you certainly may. 2. Most of the things you have described are interior cosmetic issues and can be resolved as time and money allow. 3. The thing that is keeping the doors from opening is probably a pump that is located under the rear seat on the passenger side. It is an air pump/vacuum system and it regulates the locking and unlocking of the doors, sun roof, and trunk as well as gas port. I would check that the electrical circuits that control the pump are functioning properly. If they are you can go on eBay and purchase a pump or get one from the junkyard. However before you buy one from a junkyard get down close to it and smell it. If it smells like something electrical has burned don't purchase it. It is either bad or about to go bad. You should find it inside a soundproof rubber housing under the seat. Since you have a bench seat it can easily be raised to check