S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

Newby w/ S320 LWB needs help please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2019 | 03:07 PM

1997 S320 LWB
Newby w/ S320 LWB needs help please

Im Kal and I have a 97 S320 LWB and Im trying to debug the car I bought. I love it but have a few things I need some help and/or direction with, please.
1) I would like to know how or where I can find out what options came on my car.
2) I think I need shocks but I dont know if my car has SLS (self -leveling) or EDS (electronic Damping System), If I have SLS, it only appears to be working off and on.
3) My vacuum system only works off and on too. Is there a wiring issue with this class? I read that there were a few years where "junk wiring" was used and Im not sure it applies to mine. If I do, anybody know what where I should look so I can find the problem? The doors and the trunk wont fully close as they should without slamming them.
4) Sunroof motor is weak. Should I just replace the motor or is there anything else that can be done.
5) A/C wasnt working so I had it checked and he put freon in and it is working but the EC button stays lit so now the a/c wont work. How do you clear the code?

I know this is a lot to ask but if anyone can provide help or direction,I wiould be appreciative. Im only working part-time so Im trying to take care of the things that I can do and provide my mechanic with info to short-cut his time on the car.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Kal
Old 05-30-2019 | 11:36 AM

W140 S320
Originally Posted by Kal El
1) I would like to know how or where I can find out what options came on my car.
2) I think I need shocks but I dont know if my car has SLS (self -leveling) or EDS (electronic Damping System), If I have SLS, it only appears to be working off and on.
3) My vacuum system only works off and on too. Is there a wiring issue with this class? I read that there were a few years where "junk wiring" was used and Im not sure it applies to mine. If I do, anybody know what where I should look so I can find the problem? The doors and the trunk wont fully close as they should without slamming them.
4) Sunroof motor is weak. Should I just replace the motor or is there anything else that can be done.
5) A/C wasnt working so I had it checked and he put freon in and it is working but the EC button stays lit so now the a/c wont work. How do you clear the code?

I know this is a lot to ask but if anyone can provide help or direction,I wiould be appreciative. Im only working part-time so Im trying to take care of the things that I can do and provide my mechanic with info to short-cut his time on the car.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Kal
Hi Kal,

Well you could find on some russian web about Vin decoder but i can say if any door/boot dont self close means your Ride wasnt equipped - same as mine. About suspenssio , just take the wheel off and check shocks if ther airmatic or normal gas pressured. If equipped with airmatic you should have "shock" button next to open boot indicator or asr.
97 was free from biodegradable loom. But its worth to change coils and Ignition wires.
Sunroof motor well you could buy from scrapyard any or check rails if lubrication needed.

EC is economy mode. Try to play with lower temps and depressing EC.
If you need something or have problems with your 140
Txt me