S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

dies during hard right turns at low speed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 300SE
dies during hard right turns at low speed

1992 300SE 195K My deceased father's car-I drove it for ~16 years from ~2001, very sentimental to me. I'm trying to decide if it's best as a parts car or to sell since it runs, but has many issues I can't afford to fix. No mechanic has never been able to diagnose this issue, and I don't want to sell with a dangerous problem. I haven't driven it for a couple of years and don't have a go-to mechanic to consult. I learned to overcome this issue by finessing the turn in a specific way I'm not confident I can easily explain or demo now. I generally only drove it to work 3 mi and back on side roads, so it wasn't a big issue for me. After I learned to manage the issue, I could prevent it from dying when turning 90+% of the time, but it's a tricky "feel" kind of thing I learned over a long time. I want to do the best thing since my Dad's car means a lot to me. It's such a gorgeous beast, even if not in great shape, so hate to see it go to parts and prefer to to sell to someone who would love it back to its former glory (if its worth it). I just want to make sure I'm not selling someone a car they would be at risk of being hurt in. Does this sound like a deal-breaker for selling? Do people restore and "collect" my type of car and wouldn't care about driving it much? I'm new here and don't know much at all about cars much less selling a car like mine. Sorry if TMI. Thank you!
Old 06-02-2019, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 472 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
does it die at speeds over 20, 30, 40 ,50, ???

Hard right 90 degree turn?

Sounds like either fuel not moving due to Centrifical forces
Or a wire comes loose for same reason..

What happens when it dies?
Sputter or engine stops instantly?

Find a mechanic or dealership travel to one if you have too car is worth saving... because memories are priceless.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 300SE
Thanks for the response and suggestions. I estimate the turn angle causing it to die is ~ 70 degrees or greater. The speed a which it dies during the turn is probably ~15-20 mph and under. [It doesn't die if I'm stopped and then make a right turn. If I am accelerating into the turn it also doesn't die if I'm accelerating sufficiently. But if I were to coast into the turn, it reliably dies if the speed is low enough. Two typical scenarios where it might die during a low-speed turn is when I'm slowing down to make a turn into my driveway or turning right across an intersection and coasting across.] One mechanic increased the idle but didn't fix it.

I'm trying to minimize costs before selling, so was considering just selling it as-is and disclosing the issue to the prospective buyer. Hopefully they would exercise caution and test it out and learn to maneuver past this issue as I did over a long period. If a car buff buys it, I won't be concerned, but if it's someone just looking for a pretty car, I'll be concerned. I definitely advise them not to drive with their kids in the car until they are very, very comfortable with it.

I will check with a mechanic before I sell it and see what they have to say.

Thanks!

Thanks