S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

Oh joy, I have no idea what to make of this problem.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'91 560SEL '93 400SEL
Question Oh joy, I have no idea what to make of this problem.

To start with, my car is a 1993 400 SEL, which has had the wiring harnesses replaced already.

So recently I was working the back yard, the next door neighbor was likewise in his own backyard mowing his lawn. And then he stopped, called me over to the fence and tells me that he just observed a light come on on my car. Well that makes no sense to me, but I walk over to the driveway, and sure enough, the righthand (passenger side) turn signal light is on solid, not blinking. So I went in the house to retrieve the sole key existing for my car (seriously, why can I not find anyone who can duplicate it?) and proceed to try and figure out what is going on. So going out the front door I find that it's three lights on solid, the front and rear righthand turn signal and the in dash righthand turn signal indicator have all lit up!

The only thing I was able to do to get those lights to cut off was to pull the fuse from the fuse box. If I put the fuse back in, those lights just go right back to being on with no key in the ignition even! I have no idea what to make of this, how do these lights come on without the car even turned on?

If I actually switch the righthand turn signal switch on, those lights still just burn steady. If I hit the emergency blinker switch, again, they just continue to burn steady. This is super aggravating, I can't legally drive the car with a non-functional turn indicator.

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?
Old 06-19-2020, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1995 Mercedes S320 W140
I have had sort of the same problem with my car. Look at the toggle to turn on the headlights, and make sure it is perfectly in the position of off. When it is moved in my car millimitres to the left or right, the turn signal and rear light come on in a constant beam. Hope this helps, try getting a new switch assembly.