S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

Some quick opinons please..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 SS Brillant Silver
Some quick opinons please..

Moms is talking about giving me her '92 400 SE w/ 125k miles. It has suffered the same problem that I've noticed mentioned a lot aorund these forums. The dead vacuum pump & Bose amp. The vacuum pump is really not an issue for me seeing how NONE of other cars I've owned ever had that feature, lol.

The Bose amp I would like to replace/fix whichever the cheaper option may be. I am going to get a head unit that will have in-dash CD/mp3 capabilities. Using the search feature round here turned up a few OLD threads about quality and mix/matching aftermarket amps with Bose speakers. I don't want sink that much cash into a stereo (see next paragraph as to why). I was wondering if any new developemnts had come about seeing how most of the threads were a year old. From what I read, a rebuilt Bose Amp w/ aftermarket head unit is cheapest route to go. I realize that the audio quality won't be exactly the same, but I'm not the audiohile I use to be in my younger years. Long as it is clear & audioble period, I'm good.

Secondly, what are other common major engine probs have occured with this model & mileage. I did see one thread that had a huge list of issues...just wondering which were the most common. She has had some work done recently and all the work she's ever had done has been by a MB dealer. I loved to have the car, always wanted since the day she brought it home brought home 13 years ago...but I don't want to sink 5-6 grand in it over the next year in repairs. I'd rather clean it up & resale it if that's the case..but moms would like to keep in the family, even keeping it herself, before she sales it. She hates to see it go seeing how she spent so much cash on it..lol

Anyway, enough carrying on...thanks in advance for any input.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:38 AM

the only other major issue is the engine wiring loom - and i belive the air con compressor wire is too short so that when the engine mounts 'go' it can snap the wires.

also air con itself - has it been ok? if so you have a 'good one' if not, potential for big bills.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:33 AM

'05 SS Brillant Silver
I don't believe shes had any problem with the A/C going out (yet). If not, can you give me a rough estimate when you say "big"? 1-2 grand I don't mine sinking in..its worth that....but not about 5+.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:43 PM

Common problems are,

1. A/C Evap Core - VERY expensive and labour intensive to fix. And strip away interior to fix it doesn't help either. This one would probably be one of the most expensive, non-engine related repair on W140s..... Labour HR alone is roughly 18 - 22 HR @ Dealers. Repair can run any where between $3000 - $4500....

2. Shimmy Feel in steering. This has something to do with the design so I was told. But since your Mom's car was driven on regular basis, it shouldn't be a concern. It's more like a hit/miss situation.

3. As you already know, Door Close Assist Pump. This one is an easy 800 - 1000 if fixed @ dealers w/replacement pump.... But you can try locate a used/rebuild pump and maybe even do DIY to save some $$.....

4. The "Bio-degradable" wires. Check through the wires would be a good start and keep the car running forever

5. Windows Regulator. Since the dual paned side windows are rather heavy, those regulators have more chances of snap. This would be more of a "regular maintainence" thing than a "common problem".... Can't remember exact amount for regulator, but I think my dealer charged me about $250 or so, w/labour and tax....

6. Stereo AMP problem

7. Tranny slipping and/or drive shaft vibration. These are not so common problems, but can occur... So should also be factored into total ownership cost(s). Rebuild tranny is approx. $2500, give or take 500.....

8. Gauge Clusters. 1992 - 1994 W140s use "roller" style odometer, and those boards have known to short themselves out after a period of time. Again, it's a hit or miss thing. If yours is still running ok, it should stay that way for a while.... Mine was gone around 50K miles.... Replacement cluster would be newer ones with digital odometer reading from 1995 - 1996, and costs about $900 - $1000 @ dealers, tax-in/labour-in......

9. Laminate Glass problem. Usually happens in rear windshield.... Look at bottom edge(near the trunk lid)of the windshield, if you see white, cloudy substanes forming, it's an indication of the problem. So far, there's no way to cure it w/out replacing the whole rear windshield. And it shouldn't affect any function of the car. So even if your 400SE has it, let it be..... No need to fix it....

Might miss a few thing, and good luck with your 400SE!!
Old 09-06-2004, 11:34 PM

'05 SS Brillant Silver
Originally Posted by AKRY
Common problems are,

1. A/C Evap Core - VERY expensive and labour intensive to fix. And strip away interior to fix it doesn't help either. This one would probably be one of the most expensive, non-engine related repair on W140s..... Labour HR alone is roughly 18 - 22 HR @ Dealers. Repair can run any where between $3000 - $4500....
This is the one that concerns me the most. She has not had this done yet. Thanks for the all the info

decisions decisions