S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

96' S600 Radiator Fan Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 S600
96' S600 Radiator Fan Replacement

One of my fans was spinning slower, the driver side one, so I went on to replace it. This didn't fix my problem, but I couldn’t find anything online with pictures how to do it so I figured I can post my process and how I did it, hopefully it will help someone. My car is 96’ S600 but I believe it’s the same with any w140 or at least very similar.

First I remove plastic in front of the fans by removing 2 plastic clips:

Next I removed the bumper that is held in at 6 places. Not sure if I had to remove it but it helped me with extra space, especially for the bottom clips.

2 at the top are 13mm

Next two are below and behind the bumper. To access it I had to remove little bumper inserts on both sides. Both nuts are 13mm

Closer look at bottom nuts (13mm):

And last 2 that hold the bumper are behind the wheel well up front. They are 8mm bolts.

Passenger side:

Driver side:

Once the bumper was off I removed the radiator support that's held in by 4 x 10mm bolts (red) and 1 x T30 screw(blue).
After this I removed a plastic piece at the bottom of the radiator fans, not sure if I had to but I did. It was held by few plastic rivets. Mine was only held by 3 but once I took it off it looked like it was supposed to have more.
This is where this plastic piece is located, it attaches at the bottom of the plastic fan. I think I could have taken it out with the fan but mine was loose so I just did it now.

Here is where the rivets are:

After taking the rivets out the piece was off. You can see the wholes on it where the rivets go. I had only 3 but it looks like it was missing few more.

Next I removed this bracket that radiator support attaches to at the top. Its just one 10mm bolt.

Next I unplugged radiator fan wiring on both sides.

Next step was removing 7x 8mm bolts holding the fan assembly.

Closer look at the blots behind the fan blades.

After these 7 screws were taken out, radiator fans were held only by 3 really strong metal clips (just a U-shaped metal) at the very bottom. I was lucky that mine was held by only 1 so it was easy to release it. To release I separated it with a big screwdriver. This is where having the bumper off came in handy I think. I had a lot of space.

Once clips are released radiator fan assembly can come out...

This is the assembly out of the car. Only thing to worry about are below 2 points with the red arrow. I was able to push the radiator toward the engine and clear the space for it to be lifted up.

With the assembly out, to replace the fan, I took out 3 x 10mm nuts (red) and pulled out the wiring (blue). Installed the replacement one and that was it. I just put back everything in the reverse order.