S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

Custom W140 exhaust projects, update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Custom W140 exhaust projects, update

hey guys, Just wanted to let you guys know that am close to completing the project. the shop is removing stock resonator and muffler and will be putting on the aftermarket pieces, they will all be welded into place with a full bead all the way around (no weak tack welds). I used a universal stainless steel resonator pipe along with a universal dual tip muffler off ebay. total setup cost about $100 total in parts ($50 each). I will let yall know when i get the exhaust and I will have before and after dynos of the car stock vs. intake and exhaust. BTW this is on a 1993 W140 SWB 300SE.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hey guys, exhaust is on its way and resonator is already here. the exhaust system should be done soon, I will take pictures when its all said and done.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hey guys,

Few more updates. The 300SE has an inline 6 obviously but its sitting in an engine bay designed for a v12 so there is TONS of extra room. There is so much room to develope some very nice tubular headers so I will be taking my car to a very reputable exhaust shop to build me a set of custom tubular headers for the car. The stock cast iron ones are extremely heavy and extremely inefficient so I figured its a good upgrade along with the exhaust and resonator, the car should sound very refined and alot more like a V8 than an I6 when its done. I cannot wait to hear what it will sound like plus the extra power gain will definately be welcome. I will keep yall upated. Dyno's will be coming
Old 03-06-2005, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey guys, Exhaust is installed but i am not home to hear it yet, I heard it was rather loud so it seems like I will have to add another resonator and redo the resonators to help dampen and refine the sound more. Once i get in town on friday I will post another update. the tips and etc though look very good apperantly. i'll keep yall updated
Old 03-19-2005, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs up Exhaust Done !!!
Hey guys, I picked the car up from the shop today...

I saw the exhaust and WOW it looks so much better than it used to. the tips now come straight out of the bumper instead of dropping down below it like most people do. it looks much much better and more aggressive. i may end up raising the exhaust just a tiny bit but over all the look is awesome especially from the back at a low angle.

Design: I changed the design this time slightly. before the exhaust tubing went straight back from the cats and then did two 90 degree turns (one right, then one left) to avoid diff casing, but this time, I merely slanted the initial resonator at a slight angle so that both could be run directly straight through and it is a much more free flowing design with fewer bends (thereby better flow). I used two instead of 3 resonators because there just was not enough room to run 3 full resonators so i ran the two matching magnaflow resonators. After all that was done I then had the extire system painted with high temp black header thermal coating paint in order to pretect the metal from rust as well as make it look nice and professional looking.

Sound: The exhaust definately sounds aggressive but the two resonators really helped remove alot of the unwanted resonance i was getting at low rpms and daily driving. at full throttle its definately alot louder but not too loud that it drowns out the intake noise as well, its a nice balance of both worlds. at throttle its pretty refined but still has a little of that raw burble to it. At full throttle pats 4krpm it screams to redline.

performance: I definately noticed a big difference in performance. I was really happy with the way the car performance and the car just feels alot less restricted over all. I'm very happy with the results. I would suspenct a 10-12HP gain for the resonator bypass and free flow exhaust, and about 8-10HP for the intake so i'm at about 18-22HP total gain, but agian only dyno will tell for sure. Im desperately trying to find a chip for my car but have had no luck yet whatsoever, if anyone knows who makes chips for these 6 banger I6s lemme know. thanks
Old 03-21-2005, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The second exhaust revision is much better but I think I may undergo one more revision to really help get rid of the rest of the resonance. The third and final revision will have one long magnaflow XL resonator that will go directly from the rear exhaust flange all the way to the rear axle (a good 24-36"), this way it will be one single peice with perfectly straight flow design and it will eliminate any of the wasted spacein between the two resonators as well as after the resonator. This should help eliminated 90% of the resonance and it would be equivalent to having 3 of my current resonators that I have installed instead of two inline. I will try and get videos and sound clips as soon as possible. The tips are now perfect and sit directly out of the bumper instead of below it.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hey guys, i found a company that can make long single peice resonators for custom applications so i think I will go to them and get the longest possible one i can fit in between the exhaust flance and the axle and that should help quiet it down as much as possible. I will keep yall updated.