S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Brakes and System Clock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes and System Clock

I own a 2000 S500 with 63,000 miles. I have two issues for which I welcome feedback.

1. I get a terrible screeching noise from my brakes (I believe the front) when I press on the pedal in reverse. This happens mostly during cold weather. I had the brakes inspected recently. The shop told me there is plenty of pad left. I do not use the parking brake often. The sound is horrible, and I would like to solve this. If you have any thoughts I would appreciate hearing them.

2. The system clock is slow. Every couple of days it's off by as much as four to five minutes. The dealer offered no help with this, suggesting it was not worth the expense to troubleshoot. Could this be a battery problem, either in the Comand system (if there's such a battery) or the main 12-volt battery?

Other than these two issues, I love the car!
Old 03-20-2005, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
have you tried flushing the brakes with water? Usually if the brakes are dirty, they can squeel or screech at times when braking. Give it a nice blast of water (when the brakes are cool) and see what happens.

as far as the clock...could possibly be the battery. Has it been changed before? If not, it's been around 5 years on the original batter, it's probably going to go soon. Our '01's battery was just replaced by dealer cuz it had 1 dead cell already.

But I think I remember reading from somewhere that the clock is sync'd up with the GPS and COMAND. I remember that the clock auto adjusts for daylight savings every time and we don't have to do anything, so it could be something with COMAND.

Good luck!