S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Airmatic repairs SUCK!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
Thanks. That saves me lots of time typing the procedure. The instructions are not clear on a few aspects though.

The metal part of the replacement top goes on top. Rubber portion facing down. IT says to glue the top but does not specify which glue. I have asked several shops and most recommend either urethane or RTV.

While removing the old glue off the top with a heat gun, it will crumble. Try to use a blow gun to get it all off anywhere you don't want it.

While removing the old glue, it will scratch the strut area. Flat black trim paint can be used to cover the scratches.

Be careful not to get anything inside the airmatic air line hole once the old check valve is removed.

Wheel removal is not required. a simple jack will suffice to raise the car and relieve and pressure on the strut.

Hooking up a star diagnose to the car and releiving pressure is also not required.

DO NOT DROP THE CAR after doing the repair. Full compression of the strut can damage it and you'll be pitching for a new one. I would suggest you lower the car a bit with the jack, start the engine and let it run for a bit until the compressor pumps enough air into the strut.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
so here can i sum this up because I am really confused, basically lift the car up use the special tool to take off the top, remove the glue via heat gun, put the new tops on with the glue etc replace everything to how it was with the special tool, and ur done? is it really absolutely necessary to repaint?
Old 11-08-2006, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
1. Remove old glue with heat gun and screwdriver
2. remove air fitting with 10mm spanner
3. remove check valve on top of strut with special tool
4. Remove one nut and fit one leg of the tripod on it. Make sure the disc is on the tripod legs as well.
5. do that with one more nut
6. and finally with the last nut
7. Now, all the nuts have been removed and replaced with each of the tripod legs. Lock the top plate in position with the pull pins. Raise that side of the car up so the wheel is not touching the ground.
8. Turn the top of the tripod so the large screw in the center is coming in contact with the airmatic strut. Keep turning until you can see the round clip. (metal one). Same as the one that comes in replacement kit. Remove the top plate with a magnet. Don't use a screwdriver!!!!
9. Make sure there is no dirt in the area. Blow it out if there is.
10. apply plenty of that lubricant around the rubber o-ring and the inside of the strut.
11. Press the top plate in with hand pressure
12. turn the top center tripod screw in again and press the new plate in.
13. press the new metal clip in.
14. release the center tripod leg
15. lower the car slowly. NOT FULLY.
16. Remove the tripod assy and put the original nuts back
17. Thread in new check valve with special tool
18. thread in air line
19. Leave the jack there so the car is not fully on the ground. USE ANOTHER jack to lift the other side now and repeat.
20. Seal the top of the strut with glue I specified earlier.

USE these instructions at your own RISK.

Painting is not nevessary. Just for cosmetic reasons.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:08 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
The dealer replaced one of my top mount under warranty before. But it isnt this kit. Is it the top mount that usually fails? what about the air bellow and the damper itself do those fail?
Old 11-08-2006, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do 03 and newer S600's use the same airmatic system?
Old 11-08-2006, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
Originally Posted by fkong777
The dealer replaced one of my top mount under warranty before. But it isnt this kit. Is it the top mount that usually fails? what about the air bellow and the damper itself do those fail?
It's not the mount itself. It's the center top cap of the strut
Old 02-12-2007, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430
Hey everyone, do you really need to glue the top of the front strut? I took a peek at the rear strut top and there's no black glue... I thought the main sealing part is the metal cap with the rubber bottom that you press in with the tripod tool... can anyone clear that up?