S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

s500 A/C switch malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s500 A/C switch malfunction

Hey, I recently purchased an 02 s500 but for some reason the airconditioner is not functioning properly. I have visited the dealer and they initially told me that I needed a new A/C system (you kno... compressor, condenser, etc...). I took it to two other mechanics just to double check and found out that they were about to take me for a ride... turns out the system was fine and it was full of freon, but the AC off switch was the problem. When I went back to the dealer and explained this they attempted to change thier story... but the damage was already done, I really dont trust the dealership anymore.

My question is -does anyone know how to track down the (possible) short in the AC off switch? The only thing keeping me from staying cool this summer is the switch going into the ON position and activating the sytem, but I dont know where to start. Everything else works fine, heat, fan, etc... but when it comes to AC I cannot get the switch into the on position. I have tried cleaning it with electircal spray but since I do not know where the wires lead I cannot get to the bottom of the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 06-13-2005, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by JonnyBlayz
Hey, I recently purchased an 02 s500 but for some reason the airconditioner is not functioning properly. I have visited the dealer and they initially told me that I needed a new A/C system (you kno... compressor, condenser, etc...). I took it to two other mechanics just to double check and found out that they were about to take me for a ride... turns out the system was fine and it was full of freon, but the AC off switch was the problem. When I went back to the dealer and explained this they attempted to change thier story... but the damage was already done, I really dont trust the dealership anymore.

My question is -does anyone know how to track down the (possible) short in the AC off switch? The only thing keeping me from staying cool this summer is the switch going into the ON position and activating the sytem, but I dont know where to start. Everything else works fine, heat, fan, etc... but when it comes to AC I cannot get the switch into the on position. I have tried cleaning it with electircal spray but since I do not know where the wires lead I cannot get to the bottom of the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Take it to your next closest Mercedes dealer and explain everything above to them as you did here, They should be able to track it down and give you an unbiased answer