S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

NEED help with NEW RIMS

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S600, 2002 S430, Bently Continental GT coming soon..., Falcon 50.
NEED help with NEW RIMS

I've been trying to decide on a new set of rims for my 02' S430. I really like some of the stock Mercedes sport rims (AMG) but I don't think they make those in 20's. I found some replicas though in 20's. Is there a reason why MBZ doesn't make them in 20's? Will going to a 20 rim affect the ride quality dramatically? If that's the case I'd rather stick with 18's. Here's a pic of the car....just a totally stock S430 at the moment...
Attached Thumbnails NEED help with NEW RIMS-ring-car-044b.jpg  
Old 06-17-2005, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
I have stock rims too; however, I read that sizes larger than 18" seriously affect ride and noise.

I recently asked Luke at Tire rack his recomendation for the best combination of wheels & rims for the '00 S500 (stock 16" running 60 series Michelin MXV4s have a steering lag - I'd like it a bit more responsive); I know he has recommended Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for performance tires with good wet traction (necessary for both Florida and Maryland) - but they're available in a 50 series. Need to be sure I don't throw off the speedo or the nav system accuracy. No reply yet, but I'm sure he'll get to it when he can.

The response would probably work well for you, if you want a performance tire with wet traction.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:23 PM

2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Hi, Jetman..nice ride.

20s will indeed affect your ride, they will harshen it quite a bit since you lose so much sidewall (and the remaining sidewall has to be stiffer).

If you're thinking of new wheels and you don't want to buy MBZ branded ones, please consider at least one of the quality ones in the aftermarket and not the no-name/unknown brand junk on ebay and other places on the web. Not that I'm Tire Rack's biggest fan, but they don't sell junk, so you can at least see what the quality brands are before you make a move. Actually they have a wheel locator on their site that will show you the different wheels available in 18s.

Your 18s are much more responsive than Skylaw's, since they're already lower-profile (40 or 45, can't remember off the top of my head). To Skylaw, 40 is really about as far as you want to go on a profile before you notice a dramatic rise in ride harshness. Generally speaking 45 is probably an optimum tradeoff for ride quality and performance.

For fun you can play with tire and profile sizes at this site: www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html If you don't have Java installed on your PC you can pick their older version.

Take care, gents, and enjoy the ride,
Greg
Old 06-17-2005, 09:21 PM
Banned

1995 w140 s500
you take and you give, you recieve looks but you give away your quality.

DO NOT GET REPLICA'S!.

I have a set of chrome Lorinser LM5's with tires for 2800 shipped to your house.
retail price 7000 with out tires.

I can also get you chrome 18" amg's for 1500 with tires.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Gregs210

Thanks for the info, especially the link to the tire size calculator. By using it, I was able to select a tire size that would work for my car (within ranges for which I can adjust the nav system) if I switch to 18" wheels. From that, I went into the Tire Rack's website and found tires that suit my needs.

Now the embarrassing part: Had I thoroughly investigated all of the available options on the Tire Rack site, I would have found that they had already done the work for me. When I entered the "search for tires by vehicle" section, chose 18" wheels, I promptly got the tire size that would work (245x45x18 for my particular car) and cross reference to brands that meet my performance needs (Pirelli PZero Nero M&S and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S). That is the same result I had developed after about an hour's work in comparisons and research comparing specs on individual tires after determining the right size.

The result I got (both ways) is consistent with your recommendation, which I appreciate. It was also good to get the same result either way, which increases my confidence in the Tire Rack's site information. It was darned good. And fast.

So, I apologize to Luke@TireRack for the e-mail asking him to do what I could have done for myself.

Bottom line is, for my 2000 S500 and my driving conditions, going to 18" wheels and a 245x45x18 high performance M+S tire is going to be the best choice. The brands are some I have had very good results with in years past, on other vehicles. No surprise there.

By the way - within seconds after I posted this, Luke responded to my e-mail, with the following:

"On an S-class like yours 18's are they way to go .... Better performance yet still maintaining good ride quality"

Thanks, Luke.

Last edited by Skylaw; 06-18-2005 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Banned

A few toys
Originally Posted by s0vietbenz
you take and you give, you recieve looks but you give away your quality.

DO NOT GET REPLICA'S!.

I have a set of chrome Lorinser LM5's with tires for 2800 shipped to your house.
retail price 7000 with out tires.

I can also get you chrome 18" amg's for 1500 with tires.
Hey, PM or email me a photo of your wheels for $2,800 and also info on the chrome AMG. I may be interested in either.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whatever there's gas in...
I have my S55 on 20's wrapped in P-Zeros and they're suprisingly smooth and the tires last also. (just my .02)
Old 06-18-2005, 01:23 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 S600, 2002 S430, Bently Continental GT coming soon..., Falcon 50.
Thanks everyone for your input and for the compliment Gregs210.I guess choosing the right rim size is just like anything else in life...compromise, you just can't have it all. Now all I have to decide is if I want the look, the ride, or a little bit of both.

SovietBenz if you could e-mail me those pictures of your rims that would be great.

What does everybody think of the Brabus VI style in the machined finish?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW I have the Michellin Pilot Sport A/S on my 2001 740 BMW and they ride great! Really good for handling, they stick to the ground like glue. They just don't last very long especially when you can't rotate them.

S-Clusiv post a picture of your car, I'd love to see that S-55 on 20's. Thinking about trading in my S-430 for an S-55 if the new S-class turns out to be a dissapointment.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
85 911 Targa
I respectfully disagree about the "replicas".

I drive alot and worry about damaging my wheels parallel parking and especially at the car wash. I was going to buy the Dual Spoke AMG or the Lorinser M5 rims until I came across Tire Rack's ASA Replicas. Wholy Smokes what a price difference 1/3rd Less for not having someones Logo on it was a "No Brainer" for me. If I damage it, Oh well I just order another one in a heart beat.

On my SL500 with AMG Package, the gosh damn Car Wash damaged my rims but there was no way in heck I was going to buy another AMG rim for a nick/scratch. Lesson Learned.

As far as Road Noise, even the 18's will be rougher and noisier than the stock rims and tires. But belive it or not, KUMHO tires are the quietest as far as 18's go.

I've got 19's and they clear the lip fine, for 20's you will need to roll the fenders to avoid cutting into your tires and or have a mechanic modify your suspension, FYI

On Ride, The lower profile tires and rims from my understanding is so not only for looks, but you want to feel the road for better driving performance as well ergo "sport". my .02

Anywho, best wishes on your wheel & tire search, if money is no object go for the name brand the fella with the deal above sounds great!

With your Permission here are my Pics:

LOL,

Last edited by DRACO; 06-22-2005 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whatever there's gas in...
Originally Posted by Jetman
S-Clusiv post a picture of your car, I'd love to see that S-55 on 20's. Thinking about trading in my S-430 for an S-55 if the new S-class turns out to be a dissapointment.
As soon as I get it back you got it!
Old 06-23-2005, 02:02 AM

W126, W140, W201, W208
Originally Posted by Jetman
Thanks everyone for your input and for the compliment Gregs210.I guess choosing the right rim size is just like anything else in life...compromise, you just can't have it all. Now all I have to decide is if I want the look, the ride, or a little bit of both.

SovietBenz if you could e-mail me those pictures of your rims that would be great.

What does everybody think of the Brabus VI style in the machined finish?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW I have the Michellin Pilot Sport A/S on my 2001 740 BMW and they ride great! Really good for handling, they stick to the ground like glue. They just don't last very long especially when you can't rotate them.

Brabus will look good on your car. If you want to get 20's and lower your car you have to use 245/35/20 all around, but if you are not gonna lower the car, you can use 275/30/20 in the back and 245 in the front. I have 20's on my car w/ pirelli assymetrico (don't know if i spell it right) 245/35/20 all aorund, the nice thing about the tire, it doesn't have that rotation thing, so i can rotate all 4 of them, but i don't think pirelli make them anymore. Don't get chrome, I don't think bright colored car will look good w/ chrome, chrome wheels only match with black car (just my .02)