S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

BMW730Li vs S280L vs Volkswagon Phaeton

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW730Li vs S280L vs Volkswagon Phaeton

I live in Singapore.

I am now driving a 5 year old S320L and am considering changing to a new S280L (W220) or a new BMW730Li or a new Volkswagon Phaeton

Anyone with experience driving these cars?

Or I can get crazy and just change to a Toyota Camry or Volvo S80 Exec.

Anyone with good/bad experience, kindly share with me.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:39 PM

s65AMG, sl500
Test driven 730d sport , 745 with Dynamic drive and recently an Alpina B7 (500bhp 7 series) . Owned s430 and have S55, Phatons are being sold for two bits of old string here in the UK, getting terrible reviews and nobody is buying them .

Compared to standard S class, the 7 series has better steering it's very good , is a bit better handling with a touch more grip, a 730i has a bit more power and will be quicker than an s280, but the ride even in the dynamic drive 7 series is much firmer (too firm, the sports is even worse way too harsh), seats are good very comfy in the 7 series just like the S class, the 7 has a bit more space in the front, interior fittings aren't that good lots of things look metal but are plastic (not nice plastic) the controls are a bit strange and complex but I'm sure you could get used to it after a while, finally the 7 looks funny, some like it but most don't.

The S class just rides so much better, despite the 7 being a slightly better drive in some aspects, the handling of a standard S is still very good, the S interior whilst maybe a bit more old fashioned is just a nicer place to be and the controls are easier to operate, the s class is still one of the best looking cars on the road overall apart from the S280 being down a bit on power I would till says it's a better day to day package.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
actually, if you're thinking of a Phaeton it's a pretty good choice in the sense that it is a nice, solid car, and you'll get lots of kit and quality for your money. in sheer desirability terms it is of course no match for the S or 7 -- it's just too efficient. like a super-upsized Camry, actually. same thing with it's close cousin the A8. i'd say the Phaeton makes more sense since it's much the same thing (besides MMI) for less cash.

i'd still say go S-class. resale is likely to be the best of the lot if it's well taken care of (5 year old cars still hold over 50% of their value here in m'sia, which is quite a feat for a luxury car) and it'll probably be very reliable by now.

one question: why change the S320L? anything wrong with it?
Old 07-27-2005, 02:06 PM

S320 & 500SL
Originally Posted by ruykava
actually, if you're thinking of a Phaeton it's a pretty good choice in the sense that it is a nice, solid car, and you'll get lots of kit and quality for your money. in sheer desirability terms it is of course no match for the S or 7 -- it's just too efficient. like a super-upsized Camry, actually. same thing with it's close cousin the A8. i'd say the Phaeton makes more sense since it's much the same thing (besides MMI) for less cash.

i'd still say go S-class. resale is likely to be the best of the lot if it's well taken care of (5 year old cars still hold over 50% of their value here in m'sia, which is quite a feat for a luxury car) and it'll probably be very reliable by now.

one question: why change the S320L? anything wrong with it?
I guess he can't stand the maintenance!!He prolly ended up in a Toyota Camry.