S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Got the S500 back from MB.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 04:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
Got the S500 back from MB.....

Got the S500 back from Palm Beach Mercedes Benz today and all is well. My problem was the passenger front door auto close was not working...that door only. I had it in once before for this and they replaced a fuse and the latch assembly. It worked fine untill I got home...then NFG. Took it back and the next step was to replace the vacuum pump. In my mind, seems like if the pump was working for the other three doors as well as the other things that it controls then the problem had to be either with the vacuum line or the switch in that door.

The mechanic was nice enough to explain to me that in the W220's, the PSE pump has a circuit board that electronically controls all of the individual functions that require vacuum. If there is a problem in one area of the board (like the right front door ) then the pump will never provide vacuum to that area again. Unfortunately, the unit is sealed so the only fix is a complete unit replacement.

I am sharing this with the board because this might happen with one of your cars. If you have this condition, get it repaired under warranty as soon as you can. This is something that you might blow off now and will wait too long to get it fixed. Out of warranty would cost about $1200~$1500.

I didn't even notice it untill my wife pointed it out to me.

Just sharing my experience.

PS...Palm Beach Mercedes Benz suffered some serious damage from Wilma but is up and running. Auto Haus Mercedes in Pompano Beach wasn't as lucky and I understand they are still shut down. Wilma was a tough one...we were with out power for 6.5 days with many people in South Florida still with out power and phone.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430, 2002 Range Rover HSE 1985 BMW 535 (Sold), 99 BMW 530 (R.I.P), 98 Mazda Millenia (R.I.P)
My driver side door autoclose function stopped working a few months ago as well...I just haven't bothered to take the car to the stealer cos I don't drive it as much as I used to. Maybe I'll do that this weekend.

Originally Posted by sprink49
Got the S500 back from Palm Beach Mercedes Benz today and all is well. My problem was the passenger front door auto close was not working...that door only. I had it in once before for this and they replaced a fuse and the latch assembly. It worked fine untill I got home...then NFG. Took it back and the next step was to replace the vacuum pump. In my mind, seems like if the pump was working for the other three doors as well as the other things that it controls then the problem had to be either with the vacuum line or the switch in that door.

The mechanic was nice enough to explain to me that in the W220's, the PSE pump has a circuit board that electronically controls all of the individual functions that require vacuum. If there is a problem in one area of the board (like the right front door ) then the pump will never provide vacuum to that area again. Unfortunately, the unit is sealed so the only fix is a complete unit replacement.

I am sharing this with the board because this might happen with one of your cars. If you have this condition, get it repaired under warranty as soon as you can. This is something that you might blow off now and will wait too long to get it fixed. Out of warranty would cost about $1200~$1500.

I didn't even notice it untill my wife pointed it out to me.

Just sharing my experience.

PS...Palm Beach Mercedes Benz suffered some serious damage from Wilma but is up and running. Auto Haus Mercedes in Pompano Beach wasn't as lucky and I understand they are still shut down. Wilma was a tough one...we were with out power for 6.5 days with many people in South Florida still with out power and phone.