S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Insurance on Aftermarket Parts ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2002 | 12:24 AM

2000 S500
Insurance on Aftermarket Parts ???

I called my insurance company about the fact I have aftermarket wheels (20 O.Z. Operas in Chrome) as well as the Lorinser DTM kit (I have just ordered the F1 Fenders as well) on my 2000 S500 which means I probably have around $16K in "additives" and they said they would only cover $2000 worth of upgrades. Is this normal? I have a few points on my record and dont want to switch to a different insurance company since I am getting a super rate. Does anybody know where I can get insurance just for the Lorinser Kit and the Wheels?
Old 07-28-2002 | 12:53 PM

1999 Porsche 911 Carrera
Stay with your present insurer. Having them offer $2000.00 is better than nothing, plus re: your few points, a lot of insurance companies are actually cutting drivers off...so stay with them and don't risk anything.
Old 07-28-2002 | 09:30 PM

E320
Re: Insurance on Aftermarket Parts ???

Originally posted by dmike67
I called my insurance company about the fact I have aftermarket wheels (20 O.Z. Operas in Chrome) as well as the Lorinser DTM kit (I have just ordered the F1 Fenders as well) on my 2000 S500 which means I probably have around $16K in "additives" and they said they would only cover $2000 worth of upgrades. Is this normal? I have a few points on my record and dont want to switch to a different insurance company since I am getting a super rate. Does anybody know where I can get insurance just for the Lorinser Kit and the Wheels?
Depending on who your insurance is, you should be able to change the "symbol" that you car has. For example lets just say a car is rated at symbol "k" for mercedes. You should be payed x amount of dollars and that symbol changes with time. But you can pay to have them change your symbol to make you car worth more. The only drawback is that your insurance goes up with the symbol change. I know for sure this is how Geico does it and it should be the same for other companies.