S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

E-Z Pass

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 06:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350S4
E-Z Pass

I was told today that S-classes require exterior license plate E-Z pass tags. Is this true? The interior tag on our MY06 S350 wasn't reading properly, not sure if the transponder is defective or if the person is correct. I'm skeptical only because no Mercedes are listed on the E-Z Pass websites as requiring exterior tags...

On an unrelated note, are your S-class trunk lids very difficult to close? Ours seems to require an inordinate amount of strength to close (no electronic closer option) as compared to our E- and C-class. Also, I noticed our E-class trunk won't close if you lightly shut it. Keeps bouncing back up until you slam it hard. At the same time, the C-class trunk lid functions like every other trunk I've ever come across. Little effort involved whatsoever.

Last edited by Incendiary; 01-03-2006 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Never had any problems with the interior mounted EZ Pass on any W220s. Maybe the unit itself is faulty. Or, if you have any aftermarket electronics such as audio or police radar, some interference might be present. On the stock cars, I can't say I had any problems. Hope this helps.

Regards
Old 01-03-2006, 07:17 PM

2014 E350S4
Originally Posted by HLG600
Never had any problems with the interior mounted EZ Pass on any W220s. Maybe the unit itself is faulty. Or, if you have any aftermarket electronics such as audio or police radar, some interference might be present. On the stock cars, I can't say I had any problems. Hope this helps.

Regards
Thanks, H. Where are you mounting it? Directly below rearview mirror, to left, or to right?
Old 01-03-2006, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 S55
Originally Posted by Incendiary
Thanks, H. Where are you mounting it? Directly below rearview mirror, to left, or to right?
mount it to the left or right of the mirror ... in the section with the black dots .. there is no protective coating there (there is a protective coating on the rest that would block the signal). There is also a space just right of center 2/3'ds of the down the window where you can place it, but it's obvious and ugly there .. right next to the mirror works well and is not very noticable.

Congrats on the new car!
Old 01-03-2006, 08:27 PM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by shaw01
mount it to the left or right of the mirror ... in the section with the black dots .. there is no protective coating there (there is a protective coating on the rest that would block the signal). There is also a space just right of center 2/3'ds of the down the window where you can place it, but it's obvious and ugly there .. right next to the mirror works well and is not very noticable.

Congrats on the new car!
What he said.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:11 PM

2014 E350S4
Originally Posted by shaw01

Congrats on the new car!
So the metal oxide coating is only in the see-through, clear parts of the window (the majority of the size)? Only the black dot-matrix area allows transmission of the signal? Interesting...

Thanks for the info, all.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:28 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by Incendiary
I was told today that S-classes require exterior license plate E-Z pass tags. Is this true? The interior tag on our MY06 S350 wasn't reading properly, not sure if the transponder is defective or if the person is correct. I'm skeptical only because no Mercedes are listed on the E-Z Pass websites as requiring exterior tags...
When I initially signed up for a MD EZPass, the W220 was among a number of cars requiring an exterior pass. I didn't like the way the exterior pass looked, so I ordered the window unit, and immediately proceeded to "miss" just about every other toll booth on I-95. I then gave in and ordered the black exterior bar (mounted in the lower black portion of my air intake) and never missed a toll again.

I did check the MD MVA EZpass website and you are correct, as the Benz no longer appears there. I might also add that the original list was substantially lengthier than the list is, today.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
With our Sun Pass in Florida I was told after several tries to mount the transponder to the left of the mirror in the area with the black dots(I know...it seems wierd) and that seems to work well. Seems that that is the "clear" area.

As for the trunk lid closing effort....I agree that is overly hard to close. I have gotten used to it but my wife has not.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:36 AM

2014 E350S4
Originally Posted by sprink49
With our Sun Pass in Florida I was told after several tries to mount the transponder to the left of the mirror in the area with the black dots(I know...it seems wierd) and that seems to work well. Seems that that is the "clear" area.

As for the trunk lid closing effort....I agree that is overly hard to close. I have gotten used to it but my wife has not.
I wonder if the trunk was designed so as to "encourage" people to purchase the electronic trunk closer option...
Old 01-04-2006, 03:18 AM
ON PROBATION

I order the trunk closer now....