Official New Photos Of 2003 S Class!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2002 | 09:44 AM

1963 220Sb
Official New Photos Of 2003 S Class!

here is the rear..

Stuttgart, Jul 30, 2002
In terms of technology and style, the world's number one luxury-class saloon continues to forge ahead: Mercedes-Benz is to unveil an S-Class featuring a host of modified details which further enhance the car's appeal and add to its innovations. The Stuttgart manufacturer's top-of-the-range model will make its public debut in the autumn of 2002.
A range of outstanding technical features enables the S-Class to further underline its status as a role model and trend-setter for passenger car development as a whole. Pride of place among the leading-edge, high-tech innovations goes to PRE-SAFE, the preventive occupant protection system from Mercedes-Benz, which heralds a new era in automotive safety. PRE-SAFE can detect the threat of a collision in advance and initiate preventive measures to prepare the occupants and vehicle for impact.

Further new developments for the S-Class include a twelve-cylinder, twin-turbo engine developing 368 kW/500 hp, 4MATIC permanent four-wheel drive and a dynamic multicontour seat that can adapt to different road situations with light-ening speed. Autumn 2002 will signal the arrival of the successor to the current S 320: the new S 350 with V6 engine developing 180 kW/245 hp. The six-cylinder S 320 CDI diesel power plant now boasts an output of 150 kW/ 204 hp (previously 145 kW/197 hp) and provides 500 Nm of torque, equivalent to an in-crease of around six percent.

Market share of between 40 and 58 percent in the major economic regions

Over 325,000 motorists world-wide have sampled the delights of the S-Class first-hand since production launch at the end of 1998, the car having established itself at the very top of its market segment in all the major regions around the globe. The top-of-the-range Mercedes model accounts for some 46 percent of new-car registrations in the luxury-class segment in Western Europe, whilst the figure is around 40 percent in the USA and 58 percent in Japan. In addition, the catalogue of S-Class successes lists some four dozen international awards and prizes. Hon-ours regularly bestowed upon the S-Class include "Best Car", "Most Innovative Saloon" and "Outstanding Design Quality".

Newly designed front section for an even more powerful demeanour

Features of the model year 2003 S-Class include discreet design modifications that further emphasise the saloon's agile and elegant character. By way of exam-ple, the front bumper is enhanced by a new-look lower air intake which gives the impression of a wider and, therefore, even more powerful body. Modifications have also been made to the radiator grille which, courtesy of the designers, now displays added height and a more pronounced slant. From a stylistic viewpoint, the most important model enhancement features are the powerfully sweeping headlamps, their sophisticated clear glass look and high-sheen reflector areas bringing an extra touch of brilliance to the saloon's appearance. The exterior mir-ror casings and tail lights also feature a new, even more elegant design.

Inside the S-Class, over 40 features have been either redesigned or – using new materials – further enhanced by the Mercedes designers, to provide the occu-pants with even more comfortable and luxurious surroundings. The discreet chrome strips which adorn the fine wood trim, further improved seat upholstery and new-look, elegant control switches are just three examples of the superb attention to detail that has gone into the model refinement package.

Mercedes customers can opt for an exclusive interior appointments package called designo couture, including high-grade nappa and nubuk leather varieties, anthracite trim parts carved from the finest poplar or maple wood as well as an interior roof lining decked out in sumptuous alcantara.

PRE-SAFE ushers in a new era of passenger car safety

Mercedes-Benz has further perfected the exemplary safety technology at the heart of the S-Class by introducing PRE-SAFE, the new occupant protection system with foresight. The Stuttgart manufacturer has notched up another first by unveiling this innovative system that can recognise the threat of an accident in advance and initiate preventive protection measures to deal with the situation in hand. As a new era in passenger car safety dawns, the S-Class therefore contin-ues to set the standards.

Preventive occupant protection features on board the top-of-the-range Mercedes model include seat belts that can be tensioned within a split second so as to en-sure that the driver and the front passenger are in the best possible sitting posi-tion before a crash occurs, enabling optimum deployment of the airbags upon impact. At the same time, PRE-SAFE moves the front passenger seat and the electrically adjustable individual seats for the rear passengers into their optimum positions and closes the sunroof automatically when the vehicle begins to skid.

This new safety concept is based on the findings of Mercedes accident research, which indicate that, in about two thirds of all road accidents, there is a relatively long period of time between the moment an imminent collision is detected and the moment the collision actually occurs.

In order to detect a collision in advance, PRE-SAFE uses sensors in the ESP® Electronic Stability Program and the Brake Assist system, which warn against critical situations. The system components are reversible: for instance, if the collision is avoided at the last moment, the preventive belt tensioners are released automatically so that the occupants can reset the seats and sunroof to their original positions. PRE-SAFE is then ready to spring into action again immediately if called upon.

Optional 4MATIC four-wheel drive for six and eight-cylinder models

From the autumn of 2002, the S-Class will bring a whole new meaning to active safety and traction with its electronically controlled 4MATIC system. This permanent four-wheel drive system is available as an option for the six and eight-cylinder petrol models. Whether it be on ice, snow or slippery cobblestones, in the wet or on other poor road surfaces.

Boasting two six-cylinder models, four V8 versions and a twelve-cylinder power pack, the S-Class engine line-up is the most extensive in this market segment. Power output from these engines ranges from 150 kW/204 hp to 368 kW/500 hp in the flagship S 600 model.

Pride of place in the Mercedes engine range will go to a newly developed twelve-cylinder model complete with twin turbochargers, water intercooler and numerous other high-tech innovations. The V12 power plant – produced using state-of-the-art, lightweight materials – succeeds in squeezing 368 kW/500 hp from its 5.5-litre capacity, making it one of the most powerful engines in its class. With a peak torque of 800 Nm that arrives at just 1800 rpm, the new Mercedes twelve-cylinder propels the flagship S 600 Saloon from 0 to 100 km/h in a mere 4.8 seconds.

The Mercedes engineers have also modified the tried-and-tested six-cylinder en-gines for the S-Class, further boosting both output and torque:

Increasing the displacement of the V6 petrol engine to 3.7 litres enables out-put to be boosted by 12.5 percent to 180 kW/245 hp, not to mention a 13-percent rise in torque to 350 Nm at 3000 rpm. Fuel consumption in the new S 350 – 11.1 litres per 100 km (NEDC combined consumption) – remains at an exemplary level for this displacement class.

The modified six-cylinder diesel engine is from the second generation of Mercedes-Benz-developed commonrail power plants which provide greater pulling power and flexibility whilst reducing fuel consumption even further. Power output from the 3.2-litre engine has been increased to 150 kW/204 hp whilst the peak torque of 500 Nm at 1800 rpm is a new record. Fuel consumption in the S 320 CDI is a mere 7.7 litres per 100 km (NEDC combined consumption) -- almost four percent lower than in the previous model.
From autumn 2002, the high-performance S 55 AMG Saloon will receive the powerful, supercharged eight-cylinder engine – as seen in the SL 55 AMG. This power plant provides around 39 percent more power and 32 percent more torque than the preceding model. To put this into figures: 368 kW/500 hp and 700 Nm from 2750 rpm.

Dynamic multicontour seat for superlative lateral support when cornering

In future, the COMAND control and display system will be fitted as standard in all S-Class models. Compared to its predecessor, the current system has a larger and, therefore, even clearer colour display (6.5") in 16:9 format. In the top-of-the-range S 600 model, COMAND is linked to the navigation system as part of the standard package.

Mercedes-Benz has totally remodified the S-Class seats – introducing a softer de-sign and new upholstery technology – to give the driver and front passenger even greater seat comfort than previously. The new dynamic multicontour seat – now available as an option for the S-Class – is the ultimate in sophisticated seat tech-nology. It has a series of integrated air chambers which are inflated or deflated according to the situation in hand so as to ensure that both driver and front pas-senger benefit from superlative lateral support when the car is cornering. The seat also has an in-built computer which assumes electropneumatic control, taking just a split second to process data such as steering angle, lateral acceleration and road speed, in order to vary the inflation pressure and volume of air in the cham-bers precisely in accordance with the situation in hand. When the vehicle enters a left-hand bend, for example, the system pumps more air into the chambers on the right-hand side of the backrest, thus ensuring greater lateral support for the seat occupant.

Last edited by PHYBENZ; 07-30-2002 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-30-2002 | 09:46 AM

1963 220Sb
here is the front.... nice and aggressive.. love the new grill, always thought the first one was too thin...
Old 07-30-2002 | 09:48 AM

1963 220Sb
and the interior... chrome strip on the wood and revised door panels, but I don't like the new buttons around the hazards...
Old 07-30-2002 | 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

are those going to the be the standard wheels or will that not change?

it looks nice
Old 07-30-2002 | 10:11 AM
Out Of Control!

ok i see the interior different but don't see too much difference on the outside?
Old 07-30-2002 | 03:42 PM

c230 Coupe
Originally posted by JamE55
ok i see the interior different but don't see too much difference on the outside?
the headlights, grille, and tailights are completely different on the '03, JamE55
Old 07-30-2002 | 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OMG OMG OMG, i think i am going to go crazy, that is beautiful, awesome looking car!!!!! thanxs for the pixs bro

-Musfather
Old 07-30-2002 | 04:08 PM

Completely different? a bit of an exaggeration..

slightly different, most consumers won't notice the body style changes. The projector lights grab most of the attention.

Hopefully the new DVD COMAND will be alot better than the previous. IMO that was the only weak part of the car.

the wheels look like they are from the CL.
Old 07-30-2002 | 06:06 PM

The car looks a lot neater from the front thanks to the redesigned grille surround,upper bumper and bonnet cut lines.

It now means the car has an identical grille opening and frontal treatment as the new E Class except that one has joined and the other has two separate light units.

The rear lights are a little fussy thought, but the interior is now closer again to the newer E Class in terms of technolgy,style and finish.

All this makes the smaller and cheaper E Class look like an even smarter choice then before.

Last edited by Callaway; 07-30-2002 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2002 | 09:35 PM

those rear lights suck, look like a damn honda civic.
Old 07-30-2002 | 10:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
That is a nice freaking car! makes it hard to decide if you get an E or an S class.
In my case, neither one of them , I'm still selling my car to get back on my feet , so i'm just planning for the future.
Old 07-31-2002 | 06:22 AM

MB C200K (W202), MB 190E (W201), MB A140 (W168)
Pictures of course show the European (or better the German) version. So you won't get information about the rims used by default.

I think it's looking much better than the current version. Rear-lights are in Maybach-style.

The best is the S 600 with it's V12-Bi-Turbo engine with 500 HP - that is the engine which is used in the Maybach!!
Old 07-31-2002 | 10:07 AM

red bicycle
Hey,

When I first saw the spy pics, I really didn't like the new rear lights, but I think they look good in the official photos. The car looks great.

I'm over it now, but the stripes on the lights first reminded me of the European Honda Accord. Don't go crazy over that...the S-Class is amazing, and always will be amazing.
Old 07-31-2002 | 10:17 AM

red bicycle
Hey,

Judging from the reaction to my post in the new CLK forum, I feel that my last post is almost sacrilegious. Should I repent now?

It's just an observation...

Todd

Last edited by whatup?; 07-31-2002 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-31-2002 | 10:24 AM

01, Blk/Blk S500
I think the interior photo is of a S600? Notice the suede like material on the dash (lower half of the dash, the glove compartment).

If that is an interior of the S500, they are headed in the right direction. They are coming out with a new shape in 2005?

Nick
Old 08-01-2002 | 04:40 PM
Banned

Smart Car
Rear lights are those of a true luxo car that S class is.

Does any body really think that this car looks lilke anything from Honda? Nuff childish comparissons.
Old 08-01-2002 | 04:45 PM

red bicycle
Hey,

I agree with you, I don't think it looks like a Honda at all. I actually think the lights look great on the S-Class...it's one damn good looking car. But when I first saw the spy shots of the revision, that's what popped into my head. Just an observation...

Todd
Old 08-01-2002 | 06:39 PM

childish my ***, those look like honda lights. nuff said.
Old 08-01-2002 | 09:03 PM
Banned

'06 ML500 w/Apperance pkg & '07 SL550 w/AMG pkg
Originally posted by Nick
I think the interior photo is of a S600? Notice the suede like material on the dash (lower half of the dash, the glove compartment).

If that is an interior of the S500, they are headed in the right direction. They are coming out with a new shape in 2005?

Nick
I tend to agree with you, that this is pics of the V12. I'm only going on an assumption, but the 600's are the only ones to have the real leather upper dash & the stitching is very noticable. It's hard to tell from this photo, but it looks as if the dash has the stitches. If it is the V8 500, it is well equiped, it has the Wood Trim pkg. & the Comfort pkg (ventilated seats). VERY NICE either way!!!!

MarcusBenz
H.O.I. MBZ
Old 08-01-2002 | 10:56 PM
Banned

Smart Car
Originally posted by PHYBENZ
and the interior... chrome strip on the wood and revised door panels, but I don't like the new buttons around the hazards...
Absolutly Love new buttons--old ones looked like someones mouth with every other tooth nocked out.
Old 08-01-2002 | 11:03 PM
Banned

Smart Car
Originally posted by SwishaHouse
childish my ***, those look like honda lights. nuff said.
I'm sure they do to every Toyota owner with funny wheels.
By the way , how is your *** in comparisson to 745i's for example?
Old 08-01-2002 | 11:07 PM
Banned

Smart Car
Originally posted by whatup?
Hey,

When I first saw the spy pics, I really didn't like the new rear lights, but I think they look good in the official photos. The car looks great.

I'm over it now, but the stripes on the lights first reminded me of the European Honda Accord. Don't go crazy over that...the S-Class is amazing, and always will be amazing.
The rear lights on Honda you posted are sweet
Old 08-03-2002 | 01:37 AM
Almost a Member!

1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
I really like the birdseye maple instead of walnut.
Old 08-03-2002 | 07:43 AM

I take the bus now :(
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet piece of german craftmanship!
Old 08-06-2002 | 01:08 AM

Originally posted by Fast Eddy

I'm sure they do to every Toyota owner with funny wheels.
By the way , how is your *** in comparisson to 745i's for example?
haha, good one.
like your camry is much of a looker Swisha

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Official New Photos Of 2003 S Class!