Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500L, w220 series
w220 s500 crankshaft pulley

Hi ,
have an S500 LWB(w220) 1999,
Is there any recall on that model,
(The crankshaft pulley failed on motorway and affected water pump, alternator and power steering and tensioner)

temperature went into red area within 10 seconds, battery not charging, streeing wheel became heavy ....
anyone had such a problem before.
The car is at 78k miles
Any idea of the cost
Old 02-05-2006, 02:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think you meant to say the belt tensioner went out. there has not been a recall on these but there has already been several revisions of the belt tensioner. the old ones will freeze up on you without too much notice and will burn the belt off and that is why you noticed the high temp, no power steering etc. i hope you pulled over right away when your temp over heated, otherwise you will be looking at a very expensive repair if your car overheated to a point where your cylinder heads got warped. if you pulled over right away, then you should be fine and will only need to clean up all of the remaining old belt wrapped around the cranshaft pulley and other pulleys and replace the tensioner and a new serpentine belt, i dont recall the exact price on the tensioner. if you are mechanically inclined, you can do this yourself. good luck.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:25 AM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
s500 GL450 GL63 Z71XL Yukon 67 396 SS velle 68 Vert Camaro 69 RSSS Vert Camaro 75 Blazer
yes. there was a recall on the pulley. i just had mine done on my 2000 so im not sure if it applies to 1999

angel
Old 02-05-2006, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Originally Posted by linuxfoo
i think you meant to say the belt tensioner went out. there has not been a recall on these but there has already been several revisions of the belt tensioner. the old ones will freeze up on you without too much notice and will burn the belt off and that is why you noticed the high temp, no power steering etc. i hope you pulled over right away when your temp over heated, otherwise you will be looking at a very expensive repair if your car overheated to a point where your cylinder heads got warped. if you pulled over right away, then you should be fine and will only need to clean up all of the remaining old belt wrapped around the cranshaft pulley and other pulleys and replace the tensioner and a new serpentine belt, i dont recall the exact price on the tensioner. if you are mechanically inclined, you can do this yourself. good luck.
He is talking about the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer I believe.

The core of mine fell off. There was a recall so MB covered the expenses on replacing the pulley even if your car is out of warranty.

I wasn't so lucky though. When the core fell off, the crankshaft/pulley or something (advisor never made it clear to me), it managed to drill a hole in the oilpan. Oil pan was roughly $700 plus labor I think.