S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Instrument Cluster Recall - S Class

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S500
Well, I looked around the car tonight looking for a date of manufacture.

To my surprise, I found the month and year on a label on the driver's door jamb. The bad news is that it is within the dates that should be part of this recall.

MB has not contacted me yet so I guess I have to go to them and ask them to replace the defective parts. We'll see how that goes.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E220cdi Estate Avantgarde March 2008
Keep us posted Normrkey.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by normrkey
Well, I looked around the car tonight looking for a date of manufacture.

To my surprise, I found the month and year on a label on the driver's door jamb. The bad news is that it is within the dates that should be part of this recall.

MB has not contacted me yet so I guess I have to go to them and ask them to replace the defective parts. We'll see how that goes.
I'm not aware of anyone contacted by MB about the recall. But since they initiated it I expect this will begin as soon as they have parts available. Please let us know what you learn.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jayhawk
I'm not aware of anyone contacted by MB about the recall. But since they initiated it I expect this will begin as soon as they have parts available. Please let us know what you learn.
Shouldn't someone just phone MB or e-mail and find out what the position is -and then post the answer on this thread.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by hawk20
Shouldn't someone just phone MB or e-mail and find out what the position is -and then post the answer on this thread.
Please read the previous 54 posts here. What you suggest, and a whole lot more, has already been done. Perhaps you would like to try. If you learn anything new, please let us know.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:29 AM

Please read the previous 54 posts here. What you suggest, and a whole lot more, has already been done. Perhaps you would like to try. If you learn anything new, please let us know.
OK guilty as charged. It's like that is it. Yes, I've found that a bit with Customer Service but where else do you go? I'll get reading!!
Old 07-05-2006, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
OK guilty as charged. It's like that is it. Yes, I've found that a bit with Customer Service but where else do you go? I'll get reading!!
To be honest, I don't think there is much we can do but wait for MB to get its act together and notify us. Apparently, they initiated the recall and I guess they can proceed at their own pace, even though they stated in their letter to the DOT that it would begin on June 10, 2006. I sent emails to the two DOT officials listed in the HSTA letter, but of course have heard nothing from them either. We seem to be dealing w/ a campaign of silence.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:57 AM

Do you think someone is trying to find 36,000 instrument clusters? I don't know why they don't just say so, if that's the problem.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Do you think someone is trying to find 36,000 instrument clusters? I don't know why they don't just say so, if that's the problem.
Your guess is as good as mine...
Old 07-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Almost a Member!

me: 2001 S500, 1993 K1500 wife: 2003 X5
Question

Yesterday when I parked and was getting out of my car, the instrumentation panel lights started flickering and then blacked out. Later, I had to get something out of the trunk and when I opened the door lock (with the remote), the instrumentation panel lights flickered again and went dark. I couldn't find my fuse chart, but I doubt it's going to be as simple as that.

My S500 was manufactured on 4/2001 and isn't included in the curent recall, although, after having read the recall documents, I am really not sure if MB is really being forthcoming in their findings.

The fact that the failure of the instrumentation panel cluster was caused by (three) different identifiable conditions, (inferior component manufacture of the transformer, capacitor and led's), and each individual failure being attributed to one of the three components leads me to believe that all of these clusters are defective in one way or another.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Banned

So,
I really hope MB is not doing it's typical arrogant stand off, it is such a shame they choose to deal with loyal enthusiastic owners this way.
Years ago, I had several mails from Ford on a faulty cluster light dimmer(by the way the car was a 93,the recall was in 2001 for the light switch), as i didn't have the problem,and was too lazy to take it in for a new switch i just forgot it, but they kept on writing,butwhen the car was in for a service they put a new whatever in.
Anyways, I am kind of confused about this recall for the S class, i spoke to my dealer 3 weeks ago and he said there was no recall out for any year for a common cluster failiure, so whats the truth here,has any one gotten a direct reply from MB in black and white yet?
Old 07-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Almost a Member!

I have not received anything, although the documents are posted on the NHTSB website and you can access the datebase at this address -

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...callsearch.cfm
Old 07-20-2006, 10:12 PM

Information about recall

The recall has been updated and is postponed til sometime this month of July from around June 10.

MB online customer service can only tell us if we qualify for the cluster once they get a list of VIN numbers.

If you qualify and have replaced your cluster you will be compensated.

Your local MB service can tell you when your car was manufactured.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
Search Results
Report Date : July 20, 2006 at 11:01 PM
SEARCH TYPE : VEHICLE
YEAR : 2002
Make : MERCEDES BENZ
Model : S CLASS
Type : PASSENGER CAR

Results : 1 | All records displayed
Make : MERCEDES BENZ Model : S CLASS Year : 2002
Manufacturer : MERCEDES-BENZ USA, LLC.
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06V028000 Recall Date : FEB 01, 2006
Component: INTERIOR LIGHTING
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 36911
Summary:
ON CERTAIN VEHICLES, THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER IS EXPERIENCING ELECTRICAL MALFUNCTIONS. THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER CONTAINS GAUGES AND INDICATORS THAT MUST BE ILLUMINATED WHENEVER THE VEHICLE IS IN OPERATION.
Consequence:
DUE TO INADEQUATE ILLUMINATION, THE DRIVER WILL BE UNABLE TO READ THE GAUGES AND INDICATORS, SUCH AS THE SPEEDOMETER, WHICH COULD INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER MODULES. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN IN JULY 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MERCEDES-BENZ AT 1-800-367-6372.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:44 AM
Almost a Member!

Question Is The Dom, The Date On The Sticker Inside The Door?

Date of Manufacture
Old 08-11-2006, 03:37 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 S600 Black/Black
Flickering Panel And Related

I have flickering on instrument panel - hoping to get that all fixed up with a nice new one, once this recall BS is over.

I also have some other electrical issues that I am hoping are a byproduct of
the cluster problems, but maybe unrelated. Anyway, it's well past July now, I'm hoping my dealer will have heard something by now.

Here is the report I prepared for the service tech:

2001 S600 W220 electrical system

problem description:
- defective instrument panel; goes dim and flickers while in use.
- emitting a regular high-pitched "digital" sound (almost sounds like a cd player reading a cd, but this sound is coming from the instrument cluster).
- roll front driver window down, roll rear driver side window down. now press upclick to auto close front and then after 1 second upclick to auto close rear, and front window stops closing.
- remote infrared holddown does not close/open windows, no response.
- instrument cluster brightness knob has no effect, despite turning knob in either direction.
- using the left-turn signal repeatedly during the same drive results in a left-turn indicator error and very rapid signalling (double or triple the normal speed).
- moonroof does not open or tilt, no sound at all but a click, seems to be related to windows / electrical problem.

Symptoms appear to be connected; hopefully can be repaired on the same ticket.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by e55bliss
I have flickering on instrument panel - hoping to get that all fixed up with a nice new one, once this recall BS is over.

I also have some other electrical issues that I am hoping are a byproduct of
the cluster problems, but maybe unrelated. Anyway, it's well past July now, I'm hoping my dealer will have heard something by now.

Here is the report I prepared for the service tech:

2001 S600 W220 electrical system

problem description:
- defective instrument panel; goes dim and flickers while in use.
- emitting a regular high-pitched "digital" sound (almost sounds like a cd player reading a cd, but this sound is coming from the instrument cluster).
- roll front driver window down, roll rear driver side window down. now press upclick to auto close front and then after 1 second upclick to auto close rear, and front window stops closing.
- remote infrared holddown does not close/open windows, no response.
- instrument cluster brightness knob has no effect, despite turning knob in either direction.
- using the left-turn signal repeatedly during the same drive results in a left-turn indicator error and very rapid signalling (double or triple the normal speed).
- moonroof does not open or tilt, no sound at all but a click, seems to be related to windows / electrical problem.

Symptoms appear to be connected; hopefully can be repaired on the same ticket.
Did you call MBUSA to see if your car (VIN#) is part of the recall? They told me mine was not even though I was having a problem, so I called the toll-free number for the DOT/HTSA and filed a formal report w/ them. Apparently, MB in reporting on themselves, was very conservative in their estimation of what cars were involved, and there is now an effort to expand the recall to more vehicles.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Did you call MBUSA to see if your car (VIN#) is part of the recall? They told me mine was not even though I was having a problem, so I called the toll-free number for the DOT/HTSA and filed a formal report w/ them. Apparently, MB in reporting on themselves, was very conservative in their estimation of what cars were involved, and there is now an effort to expand the recall to more vehicles.
I never got a notice. But dash goes out once in a while. Would I be expecting a letter?
Old 08-11-2006, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by newton22
I never got a notice. But dash goes out once in a while. Would I be expecting a letter?
I would NOT if I were you! Call MBUSA! They told me not to hold my breath! You really should call them and see what they say. Please report back here because I'll bet you have NO CHANCE to get it replaced under the recall.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Almost a Member!

Angry MB is full of crap

The way they dissected the recall and the lame explanation of the defective parts involved leads me to believe that anyone whose cluster fails should be included in the recall. Also, if everyone did as Jayhawk had done and filed a complaint with the NHTSB for all of the defects they encountered with their cars, MBUSA might be more responsive.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:43 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 S600 Black/Black
I haven't called 800 number yet. Waiting for the dealer appointment next week to see what they say. My DOM is part of the date range listed.

Keyrat - there was another recall about the trunk mat causing static and battery shorts in trunk - your story made me think of that. Have you seen that bulletin? Dealer should honor that one. Something about adding a trunk liner to prevent static build-up and static discharge causing electrical shorts.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:59 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 S600 Black/Black
Originally Posted by Keyrat
The way they dissected the recall and the lame explanation of the defective parts involved leads me to believe that anyone whose cluster fails should be included in the recall. Also, if everyone did as Jayhawk had done and filed a complaint with the NHTSB for all of the defects they encountered with their cars, MBUSA might be more responsive.
If the instrument cluster does not display feedback to the driver properly 100% of the time, there is a severe safety issue with the car, which MB will be required to fix. Their voluntary compliance with this requirement will save embarassment from being dragged into an audit/review process with the DOT.

I think that we, as an organized group of concerned owners, should submit a collective letter jointly to Frank Diertl of MBUSA as well as both contacts at the DOT mentioned in the letter, expressing our displeasure at how this entire situation has been handled, based on the severity of the potential problem, and requesting an official commitment for action in replacing these units.

The problem was reported in February 2006 - 6 months later now, and we have no word from MBUSA on even a PLAN to replace the defective instrument clusters.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by e55bliss
I haven't called 800 number yet. Waiting for the dealer appointment next week to see what they say. My DOM is part of the date range listed.

Keyrat - there was another recall about the trunk mat causing static and battery shorts in trunk - your story made me think of that. Have you seen that bulletin? Dealer should honor that one. Something about adding a trunk liner to prevent static build-up and static discharge causing electrical shorts.
1) Exactly what is the date range? And how do I tell my DOM? If I missed it above I appologize, but do not recall anyone stating this.

2) My dealer replaced my trunk liner--actually I think they replaced the battery cap--a long time ago, as part of that recall. I think I actually got a letter on that one...
Old 08-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 S430
If at any point anyone gets a replacement, a refund, or a straight answer from MB about what dates are included in the recall, please post and let us know.

My 2001 S430 is not on any recall list yet (even though the instrument cluster failed and had to be replaced). The MB rep told me to save my receipts because the fact that I am not currently on any recall list does not mean that I won't be in the future.

But so far, I can't tell that anybody for any DOM has been given a replacement or a refund.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:04 AM
Almost a Member!

Any Updates?

Does anyone have any updates regarding the recall, or what is going to be done for the defective units NOT recalled? MB is full of

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Recall - S Class