S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

DIY airmatic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 12:40 PM

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
s500 GL450 GL63 Z71XL Yukon 67 396 SS velle 68 Vert Camaro 69 RSSS Vert Camaro 75 Blazer
DIY airmatic

with all these airmatic problems and the high cost of the repair and since alot of '00 s class have fallen out of warrantee, can airmatics be fixed by the DIY'er? im not talking about soneone who pulls into the gas station waiting for service attendant to pump the gas. im talkig about the hands on kind of guy with mechanical know how. how difficult can it be besides maybe needing special tools. after all, its just a suspension with sensors and air lines. im just curious. mine were bad and replace by the previous owner but there is always a possiblity that it can go bad again and im not independantly wealthy.

angel
Old 04-04-2006, 12:42 PM

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
s500 GL450 GL63 Z71XL Yukon 67 396 SS velle 68 Vert Camaro 69 RSSS Vert Camaro 75 Blazer
so, no one here has ever worked on an airmatic? im sure there has to be a MB mechnic in here somewhere.

angel
Old 04-12-2006, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish there was a DIY too... I'm considering buying a used S, but the airmatic issue is the biggest thing holding me back...

Some of the carfax reports I've checked, have shown multiple airmatic repairs... If it were a one time problem it wouldn't be issue, but if I'm gonna drop 2k-3k on a repair I don't want to see it pop back up after another 10k miles... I prefer the S, but with this airmatic issue the 7series is starting to look a lot more appealing
Old 04-12-2006, 12:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The only DIY airmatic repairs available is to write the check to MB and let them do the rest. It will save you a lot more headache. It works well all the time. Please note that the airmatic issues are really just on the pre 02 models and mostly on the 00 models and seems to have worked themselves out in the newer models. Dont be scared to buy MB.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm considering buying a used S500 or S430 and was wondering if someone can fill me in on the 'airmatic' issue? i've always been a BMW guy so i don't know squat about MB. what or where is an 'airmatic' lol

so should i look to buy a 2002 and up model just to be safe? i've seen a bunch of 00 and 01 models with low kms for a good price but this 'airmatic' thing is just the problem my wallet isn't ready to solve.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wake up in the morning, go to your car and the car is dead on the ground. Warning message (in red) saying STOP, CAR TOO LOW. You cant drive it. Call tow ($120) and tow to MB repair. Once complete go back and get your car and write a check in the upwards of $4K and enjoy you car again. Welcome to the world of MB.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500 2002. Supra TT 97, Supra NA-T 94, Glanza 96, Starlet 90
anyone every removed the airmatic shocks ? Any idea how to remove it ? As in deflate the shock before removal ?
Old 03-11-2010, 05:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2000 S430, 1999 E 320, 2 K5 blazers,
personally i will never own another mercedes again untill they get there act together. Airmatic is a huge problem, and there is tons more. I work in the medical field and everyone that i know is like me moving away from benz. So sad because i love the look of these cars and its proud to say you own one to non benz drivers. but when you talk to people with them all they do is ***** on the problems they have had.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG Performace - Obsidian Black
Anyone else? I wanted to wait for all of the gloom and doom, "oh my god, it's going to bankrupt me and I'm going to die!" school of thought members to finish.

Airmatic is not a mystery; and no, you don't have to go to the dealer, and if you're mechanically inclined, R/R is quite simple. The parts are not that expensive, when you consider that you're driving a car that was close to $100,000 when new; these cars were meant to be maintained, and when maintained properly, are actually quite problem-free. Now, as far as Airmatic issues, here are some prices:

Relay: $10 at AutoHausAZ. $70 at dealer. Go figure- and for a Hella! DIY.
Pump $300 at AutoHaus, $600 at dealer. Same part. Exactly. Bigtime DIY.
Top Seal job, fronts: $300, both sides, indy. Dealer? A lot more.

New front strut: $1500 dealer, $450 rebuilt at Arnott. The rebuilt ones are just as good as stock, if not better, according to my indy.

Installation? If you own two floor jacks and air tools, DIY. If not, the indy will do a strut for 4 hours labor, or about $360. You'll need an alignment afterward, most likely.

Bottom line, ANY luxury car will cost you on repairs, air shock or not; try doing the struts on a 2001 M5 like we used to have- $1500 at the dealer.

If you buy an ex- $100,000 car, used, with a gagillion miles on it, understand that you're not in mom's Camry; be prepared to maintain it. If you think a $450 strut plus installation, and a persnickety adjustment or repair here and there is a lot, you're in the wrong car. Sorry- I can't put it any other way.

That said, the W220 has simply one of the most bulletproof engine / tranny combos, has the most beautiful lines and is one of the most incredible-to-drive, large sedans ever made; be thankful you got it for 10 or 15 grand!

Chris

Last edited by socalsounds; 03-11-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:31 PM

socalsounds - would you know where i can find some manuals on the rear airbags ? Im trying to press out the old bush for camber correction and i cant work out how to deflate the bags. Any help appreciated as i am really stuck at the moment. Might have to take it to dealer next week if i cant get it done
Old 03-11-2010, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
Originally Posted by socalsounds
Anyone else? I wanted to wait for all of the gloom and doom, "oh my god, it's going to bankrupt me and I'm going to die!" school of thought members to finish.

Airmatic is not a mystery; and no, you don't have to go to the dealer, and if you're mechanically inclined, R/R is quite simple. The parts are not that expensive, when you consider that you're driving a car that was close to $100,000 when new; these cars were meant to be maintained, and when maintained properly, are actually quite problem-free. Now, as far as Airmatic issues, here are some prices:

New front strut: $1500 dealer, $450 rebuilt at Arnott. The rebuilt ones are just as good as stock, if not better, according to my indy.

Installation? If you own two floor jacks and air tools, DIY. If not, the indy will do a strut for 4 hours labor, or about $360. You'll need an alignment afterward, most likely.

Bottom line, ANY luxury car will cost you on repairs, air shock or not; try doing the struts on a 2001 M5 like we used to have- $1500 at the dealer.

If you buy an ex- $100,000 car, used, with a gagillion miles on it, understand that you're not in mom's Camry; be prepared to maintain it. If you think a $450 strut plus installation, and a persnickety adjustment or repair here and there is a lot, you're in the wrong car. Sorry- I can't put it any other way.

That said, the W220 has simply one of the most bulletproof engine / tranny combos, has the most beautiful lines and is one of the most incredible-to-drive, large sedans ever made; be thankful you got it for 10 or 15 grand!

Chris
Old 03-11-2010, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
A quick trip to the search tool here and on BenzWorld brings up https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...t-install.html for upper seals; a bit on full strut replacement at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...t-removal.html.

It's not much - but that's what seems to be there. You could of course get a 1-day subscription to the MB Workshop Information System (WIS) and download the information. The WIS is written for trained MB techs, however, and assumes certain levels of knowledge that won't be discussed in the procedures.

But the links establish that you will need to adjust the ride height sensors (there are three) using STAR diagnosis, and you'll need an alignment, after replacing the struts. That may be why folks don't DIY much on that particular project.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Skylaw
A quick trip to the search tool here and on BenzWorld brings up https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...t-install.html for upper seals; a bit on full strut replacement at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...t-removal.html.

It's not much - but that's what seems to be there. You could of course get a 1-day subscription to the MB Workshop Information System (WIS) and download the information. The WIS is written for trained MB techs, however, and assumes certain levels of knowledge that won't be discussed in the procedures.

But the links establish that you will need to adjust the ride height sensors (there are three) using STAR diagnosis, and you'll need an alignment, after replacing the struts. That may be why folks don't DIY much on that particular project.
Thanks bud, I should have mentioned i am doing the rears not the fronts. I did try searching but honestly i have spent about 4 hours trawling the 3 sites and google.

MB Workshop Information System (WIS) sounds like a good idea, i didnt know what the lists meant so thats good to know from the list i can download the module etc for that section. Thanks for that.

I should hunt around more to find out if anyone in New Zealand has this star diagnostics tool (besides merc ofcourse)
Old 03-11-2010, 11:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by socalsounds

Chris

So true...and I agree.