S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Comand TV

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2002 | 02:59 PM
Almost a Member!

Comand TV

I was wondering about the specs of the TV here in Europe.

1. Does it have text-tv?

2. Can you watch it while driving? (You can't in e.g. Audi)

3. What is the quality of it?

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2002 | 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Ive had this in my CLK55, and will have it in my SL on 1st August ..

Its OK quality, but it does fade out and in a bit.

It has teletext, but its not very good (as its affected by weak signals)

There are 4 driving interlocks, (handbrake, park, 2kmh, 10kmh) - the dealer used to be able to turn them all off. The latest Star system can't turn off one of the speed interlocks.

It is possible to turn off all interlocks if the dealer has an older star system, I think from about June this year the Star system wont let one of the interlocks be switched off.

The Star systemj is the dealer's diagnostic system

Richard
Old 08-12-2002 | 12:46 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Does audio remain on?

On my aftermarket Kenwood DVD/TV Tuner system the only interlock is the parking brake. However, once I release it I can still hear the audio from the TV program that I was watching while stopped. Do the interlocks work the same way for the Command? I like the idea that you say you can limit the interlock to one, which hopefully would be the least restrictive based on speed. That would save the hastle of having to put on the parking brake every time I come to a intersection stop just to get the picture back on the screen. Actually, I could disable the brake interlock but in practice I don't look at the screen while I'm driving anyway.
Old 08-12-2002 | 05:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi,

Yes, you still get audio. If you have the rear TV screen, then that works all the time. (If you're retrofitting this, at least buy the loom with the rear screen support so you can easily add it later)

(Rear TV screen has headphone connectors and independant volume controls for them, and remote to change channels etc. MB tuner has 2 aux video inputs aswell, so front and rear can watch different things)

There are alternates to Star diagnosis that can turn of all the interlocks, but they are rare. If you are a Unix hacker and understand binary, then you can download my freely usable software :-) But I advise you not to use it to break any law in your country.

Cheers
R
Old 08-13-2002 | 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
On the Volvo's, the tv/dvd automatically shuts off once you exceed 7mph I beleive, although for a very minimal price you can get that restriction removed.
Old 08-13-2002 | 11:39 AM
Almost a Member!

Can you in Comand listen to the sound in the TV while driving - let's say - 60 mph/100 kmh?

In normal use, do you often watch TV? Is it worth buying?

Btw. Can you watch DVD films with the new Comand?
Old 08-13-2002 | 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sound :- Yes, sound is on even if picture is off

I used TV from time to time, when (a) I got stuck somewhere and (b) 3 year old was bored

The new COMAND (that isnt out yet) has a 16x9 screen and is DVD based according to all reports. But no one has seen it yet !!
Old 08-13-2002 | 10:11 PM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
As of August 1 no DVD Command II

While at the factory in Sindelfingen on August 1st I confirmed that the new DVD Command II was not yet being installed. It's absence is most frustrating for the E Class customers as they get no Command at all and apparently the personal service people are equally frustrated at having to be so ambiguous in answering as to when it will show up. Looks like there is either an unanticpated production problem or the units haven't stood up to Mercedes quality control standards yet forcing the supplier to go back and get it right.
Old 08-14-2002 | 07:59 AM

Rear Screen

Richard, do you have to use a MB rear screen to get independent control of what is to be seen on each screen, or can I use a Clarion or Necvox roof unit as the rear screen, and buy an MB remote control for Comand.

I know the Comand TV Tuner and MB rear screens have RGB feeds, and Clarion and Necvox screens use Composite/RCA connections, so a RGB converter will be required.

In other words, can the rear passengers watch a DVD/Playstation feed with headphones while the Comand front screen views or listens to Navigation, Radio, CD or TV , with or without an MB rear screen

What happens when the phone is used, will it mute the rear screens audio, with the Comand audio.

Do MB make a roof drop down rear screen, if so what is the MB part number, and what other parts do I need. What rear screens do MB supply for the ML, and what is the part number for the RGB output cable and screens.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but you are a real Wizard at this stuff..

Steve

Last edited by Londonboy; 08-14-2002 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-14-2002 | 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hello Londonboy

I dont know too much about the rear TV screen, apart from
1) you can watch a different input source to the front screen - the input sources are TV, Aux-1, Aux-2 on the S class
2) The rear screen in the S class has 2 headphone connections for those watching something different to whats on the car speakers.

The ML "rear screen in the roof" is completely seperate to the COMAND system - have no idea why they did that. You get video in jacks instead of the rear cupholder ...

I have a S class rear TV screen (that I havent done anything with yet), never seen the ML screen in the roof , only the German brochure ..

On the S class, you order a TV wiring loom with or without the rear screen wiring. I happen to have one that Im going to canabalise for my wife's ML ..
Old 08-14-2002 | 02:18 PM

Rear ML Screen

Richard

Thanks for the information.

I think I need another trip back to Megacomm to sort this out..

I was trying to avoid the journey, but it looks as though it could be my only option. Although I may have found someone in Hove Sussex who can help with the RGB feed and converter, and fitting of a Necvox screen.

He wants to take a look at my ML first.. I'll keep you posted if you want.. it may be usefull information to other members as well..